Strange running habits, need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, you need to put a scanner on it and see what's happening when it does that before you waste any more money on needless parts.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AKA CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) I think GM called it that in the older TBIs

yes, and always some confusion as to which it is and its location. one feeds ecm, one feeds temp gauge/light. the autozone guy will almost always bring you the wrong one, and you tell him its the other one. lol

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the 2 wire one that feeds the ECM and the 1 wire one feeds your gauge.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
after reading update , sure sounds like cat clogged, or muffler. easy test for that is vacuum gauge. but again, mr TBI says it best when he says use a scanner, it too will show vacuum issues and other parameters.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
after reading update , sure sounds like cat clogged, or muffler. easy test for that is vacuum gauge. but again, mr TBI says it best when he says use a scanner, it too will show vacuum issues and other parameters.

I do have my original cat and y-pipe, so that could be that. I have noticed black chunks of something come out of the exhaust before so thats either rust or cat

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
yes, and always some confusion as to which it is and its location. one feeds ecm, one feeds temp gauge/light. the autozone guy will almost always bring you the wrong one, and you tell him its the other one. lol

I replaced the one next to the thermostat already. it was a cheap fix anyway. I dont believe mine was faulty since it made no difference. When I unplug it all that happens is it idles higher so there's no fault there

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
Anyway, you need to put a scanner on it and see what's happening when it does that before you waste any more money on needless parts.

The light doesn't stay on, it only comes on after it happens and eventually goes away. Plus, I have a 1994 so its the old OBD1

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
Heres a video of the issue
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You can hear at the last second how if fixes itself and idles normally