Stranded

• Thread starter kenneth j hanawalt
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lma47940

Reaction score
This is my road rig. You need the long one to get at the forward cap screw.
You need the short one to get at the rear cap screw.
When you get the cap off, pull the rotor and use the shorty to get the ICM off
Tape the nut drivers and sockets together so they dont pop off and you dont loose them.
loose the sockets back there they are gone forever:biggrin:

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The aftermarket one I purchased came with heatsink compound too. I used some actic mx4 cpu TIM I had laying around instead. It still failed in the heat.

I use that stuff too. I guess it's not a guarantee that it won't fail, it's more like it's almost a guarantee it will if you don't.

I wonder if the old Arctic Silver 5 would be better for something like this. That stuff lasts forever and sticks to everything. I know there's lots of newer options on the market that transfer heat better these days, but I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 I've been using on random stuff (including new PC builds) for over a decade now and I've never had to re-apply it on any of those projects.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This is my road rig. You need the long one to get at the forward cap screw.
You need the short one to get at the rear cap screw.
When you get the cap off, pull the rotor and use the shorty to get the ICM off
Tape the nut drivers and sockets together so they dont pop off and you dont loose them.
That's why I like the vortec. I have a T 20( I think, haven't used it in a while)screwdriver that's just the right length to fit in the dimple in the firewall. That does the cap screws and the rotor screws. And I have a magnet on a stick and one of those small magnetic parts trays the cheap tool stores give away or sell for a couple bucks, and the screws go in there. And since the module isn't in the distributor, it stays a little cooler on the intake manifold bracket.....
Those parts trays are the bomb! I use them a lot. Great for greased caliper bolts or any bolt with lube or anti seize that you don't want to touch or have it fall on the floor/ ground and get dirty. I have a couple in the ammo box and more with the big tool box that usually stays at home. They're cheap enough...

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why I like the vortec. I have a T 20( I think, haven't used it in a while)screwdriver that's just the right length to fit in the dimple in the firewall. That does the cap screws and the rotor screws. And I have a magnet on a stick and one of those small magnetic parts trays the cheap tool stores give away or sell for a couple bucks, and the screws go in there. And since the module isn't in the distributor, it stays a little cooler on the intake manifold bracket.....
Those parts trays are the bomb! I use them a lot. Great for greased caliper bolts or any bolt with lube or anti seize that you don't want to touch or have it fall on the floor/ ground and get dirty. I have a couple in the ammo box and more with the big tool box that usually stays at home. They're cheap enough...
YEP! Broken down on the side of the road sucks
Digging through your tools to find the one thing you need sucks more
Dropping the one tool you need in order to not be be broken down on the side of the road....
that just blows.
It will be either dark and raining, or 110 degrees
Keeping the dedicated tools with the parts has been a huge stress saver.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
YEP! Broken down on the side of the road sucks
Digging through your tools to find the one thing you need sucks more
Dropping the one tool you need in order to not be be broken down on the side of the road....
that just blows.
It will be either dark and raining, or 110 degrees
Keeping the dedicated tools with the parts has been a huge stress saver.
Yes indeed, before I got the Blue Streak rotor (I was changing white ones every 6 months) I kept the tools in the passenger door pocket. Also keep the wrenches for the battery terminals there.

Wish they'd had those parts trays back in the 90s when Dad and I rebuilt and rewired the trailer connector harness and plugs in a gravel parking lot in the Ferris, Texas Dairy Queen, as it was getting dark......NOT FUN AT ALL.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
loose the sockets back there they are gon forever:biggrin:
Yep! I taught myself this lesson the hard way.
Dropped the 5.5 mm socket off the nut driver on to a gravel parkiing lot on a gray overcast day
3 people looked for it.
Nope, ten kinds of blind nope.
Tape that **** together and maybe paint it flame red

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yep! I taught myself this lesson the hard way.
Dropped the 5.5 mm socket off the nut driver on to a gravel parkiing lot on a gray overcast day
3 people looked for it.
Nope, ten kinds of blind nope.
Tape that **** together and maybe paint it flame red
Amazing how anything dropped on gravel immediately becomes a rock! Having big sheets of cardboard underneath the vehicle helps a lot, but on the road that's not an option unless you keep one in the truck.....
The sheets that separate the layers on pallets of bottled water are great for this (they're 4'x4' or a little bigger, so they fit under a vehicle well). They're not super heavy so you may want to use a couple, but they don't have any seams so they're great for this. Most grocery stores will let you have them if you ask.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ha! got a gravel story for ya.
Several years ago I had to retrieve my girls Honda from her ex house.
Had it all planned, found a kid with balls and a roll off.
We are just gonna swoop on in and snag that car and split.
Her ex is 6'8" professional landscaper.
Im a pretty big guy, but I aint that big.
We roll on up, slide on in..
And I dropped the friggen key in the gravel.
On a grey overcast Northwest day.
We got the car out. I found the key while the tow truck kid held him off by swinging a chain binder.
So, Kyle the tow truck guy, wherever you are
Yer a badass..