Stranded

• Thread starter kenneth j hanawalt
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess Ill have to check mine. I was always under the impression that it either works or it doesnt.
Heck, no.

Two common failure modes:
1. Plastic/Bakelite case gets cracked or carbon-tracked, voltage bleeds off via the failure in the case. Can bleed off only under high-voltage condition, or when there's moisture in the crack/track. You might see the defect leading from the tall coil wire terminal to either of the smaller terminals--coil + or coil - wires. The carbon track/crack should be visible, sometimes you'll even see sparks travel along the defect.

2. Coil internal winding wires are insulated. Insulation on wires breaks down UNDER HIGH VOLTAGE. When the insulation breaks down, the wires short-circuit reducing the resistance of the windings, leading to poor spark and excess current draw from module. This is INSIDE the coil, nothing visible.

Either failure can run just fine sometimes, and run poorly--or stall--other times. Depends on how totally the insulation fails. And you might not detect the insulation failure using an ohmmeter, because the ohmmeter uses such a tiny voltage for resistance testing, but in operation the coil sees ten-to-thirty thousand volts, sometimes more. (Which is why an ohmmeter can tell you that a coil is defective, but it can't tell you that it's good. The coil has to be put under load with a spark-tester to verify. And even that should be done with a coil that's been heated to normal operating temperature.)

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
ANY time the ignition module fails...the ignition coil is suspect and should be tested.

Verify proper primary and secondary winding resistances by connecting an ohmmeter. Primary resistance should be about 1/2 (0.5) ohm. I don't remember secondary resistance off hand.

Infinite resistance from primary or secondary to ground. While you have the ohmmeter out, might as well verify the coil wire, too.

IF (big IF) the coil passes the three resistance tests, THEN you need to check spark output using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions. Crank the engine with the spark-tester connected to ground. The coil must RELIABLY fire the spark tester. If it doesn't fire the tester--or fires it once in a while--the coil is junk EVEN IF IT PASSED THE RESISTANCE TESTS.

I prefer the kind of spark tester that looks like a spark plug with no ground electrode, and an alligator clamp welded to the side. The HEI version has a recessed center electrode so the gap is bigger--requires higher voltage to fire.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...ywords=Spark+tester+HEI&qid=1604912179&sr=8-4

I had checked the coil when I had the heads off the engine for rebuild about three weeks ago. The previous owned had installed an Accel coil a year ago.

When I pulled the old IM, there was zero grease under it. There was some hard varnish like substance on the trigger terminals and its plug. That cleaned up with brake clean. I believe it was a heat related failure. It was an AC Delco IM that failed.

Time will tell if the choice was poor.

Ken

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hah I had the opposite problem. Mine always died when it was 100+*F
Ha! I'm in the northwest. If it gets to 90 we start writing our wills.
I lived in Arizona for several years and drove an 83 K5.
The worst part of that was constant vacuum leaks from that GM spaghetti hose mess for the emissions on those things.
The heat just cooked vacuum hoses
I ran the Quadrajet when it was emissions time, and took all of that of afterward and ran an edelbrock when it passed.
Everytime I had to go through emissions, I had to take all of that back out of storage and bolt it back on.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had checked the coil when I had the heads off the engine for rebuild about three weeks ago. The previous owned had installed an Accel coil a year ago.

When I pulled the old IM, there was zero grease under it. There was some hard varnish like substance on the trigger terminals and its plug. That cleaned up with brake clean. I believe it was a heat related failure. It was an AC Delco IM that failed.

Ken
I have actually seen people clean the "heat sink compound" off of them thinking that it shouldnt be there and was causing some sort of a grounding problem.
There is also some confusion about the difference between heat sink and dialectric grease.
They are not the same thing.
The varnish looking stuff I found when I pulled a failed one apart looked and smelled like resin cooking out of the phenalic board from the heat.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ken

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have actually seen people clean the "heat sink compound" off of them thinking that it shouldnt be there and was causing some sort of a grounding problem.
There is also some confusion about the difference between heat sink and dialectric grease.
They are not the same thing.
The varnish looking stuff I found when I pulled a failed one apart looked and smelled like resin cooking out of the phenalic board from the heat.

Last time I bought an AC Delco ICM it came with the compound, another win for good parts.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Here is kind of an example, dont know if this will come through or not, got a storm rolling through so connections are screwy.
Anytime a part fails, I hack it open to see what happened.
This is an intermittant heat failure on a 30 amp fuel pump relay.
If you suspect an electrical part is failing but it tests good by the time you get a meter on it,
Pull it while its hot and give it a sniff.
Melting phenalic resin and most resin used in electronics has a very distinctive stench too it
But, it fades as the resin cools and it can reform like nothing ever happened.
That is not only a clue but can be the source of an electrical intermittant