Stranded

• Thread starter kenneth j hanawalt
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I found out about ignition modules a couple of years ago just driving down the road (was on a downhill) and the engine just quit, so coasted into a gas station, but no mechanic, just a 7-11, things are not better today. Was getting fuel so fooled around with coil, plugs wires etc., nothin. Called tow truck had it towed home, figured I could use my tools and figure it out. Still couldn't fix it so ended up having it towed to the GMC dealer (once you have a GMC you don't go to the Chevy dealer any more). They immediately suspected the ignition module which I'd never even heard of. they said it was in the distributor, who knew? Was a quick fix, luckily my State Farm insurance paid for both tows. Quit again a little after that, figured it was the IM again, so went and bought one from Oreillys, didn't fix it. Had another tow. This time was the 02 sensor. NOw have a spare IM. Was the 02 sensor cause I had unscrewed it and put it back in without disconnecting the connector and broke a wire. State Farm paid the tow bill again. Now I have a 383 stroker and haven't had a problem for over a year. All this new module and computer crap really fools me cause I spent years building and driving my 1965 Chevy Van with 292 stroker and NO computer, no power anything, nice and simple. Getting waaayyy too old for all this electrical/computer stuff, I want my rotary dial phone back. And this is a 26 year old 1994 Suburban, so its not even that up to date. (Still have the Chevy van, wife says she's going to bury me in it).

As for torroids. My Carvin PA amp has a torroid thing in it to provide the power, works great.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I found out about ignition modules a couple of years ago just driving down the road (was on a downhill) and the engine just quit, so coasted into a gas station, but no mechanic, just a 7-11, things are not better today. Was getting fuel so fooled around with coil, plugs wires etc., nothin. Called tow truck had it towed home, figured I could use my tools and figure it out. Still couldn't fix it so ended up having it towed to the GMC dealer (once you have a GMC you don't go to the Chevy dealer any more). They immediately suspected the ignition module which I'd never even heard of. they said it was in the distributor, who knew? Was a quick fix, luckily my State Farm insurance paid for both tows. Quit again a little after that, figured it was the IM again, so went and bought one from Oreillys, didn't fix it. Had another tow. This time was the 02 sensor. NOw have a spare IM. Was the 02 sensor cause I had unscrewed it and put it back in without disconnecting the connector and broke a wire. State Farm paid the tow bill again. Now I have a 383 stroker and haven't had a problem for over a year. All this new module and computer crap really fools me cause I spent years building and driving my 1965 Chevy Van with 292 stroker and NO computer, no power anything, nice and simple. Getting waaayyy too old for all this electrical/computer stuff, I want my rotary dial phone back. And this is a 26 year old 1994 Suburban, so its not even that up to date. (Still have the Chevy van, wife says she's going to bury me in it).

As for torroids. My Carvin PA amp has a torroid thing in it to provide the power, works great.
Ha! My wife cant decide which heap to bury me in.
She is the most organized clean person ever.
I run a early 1990s Peavy "tube emulater" with a heavily modified late 60s Sears Lyle Telecaster knockoff
Clean all you want Babe, but dont touch my knobs.
I just got it all gritted grunt where I need it to be

citilivin

Reaction score

I'm with you! It's hell getting old. I just cannot keep up and I'm getting to old to want to learn!

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Well....Pretty sure my ICM gave me two warning of going **** up again. Engine died twice on me today 90 miles from home. First time I coated to a stop first and it instantly started. Second time I fired it on the go. Again instant start. New ICM and I'm on the way home!

As mentioned before it's time to check the coil to make sure it is performing as intended.

Ken

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Took my "old" ICM to my local Advance Auto that has a tester for these. Ran the test 4 or 5 times and it passed every test. I requested it be run that many times to get it warmed up. So now I will be definitely move on to testing elsewhere.

Hard to find a problem when it's not there.....

Ken

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took my "old" ICM to my local Advance Auto that has a tester for these. Ran the test 4 or 5 times and it passed every test. I requested it be run that many times to get it warmed up. So now I will be definitely move on to testing elsewhere.

Hard to find a problem when it's not there.....

Ken

Its always like that lol. Battery, starter, alternator, always passes in there test but not in the actual vehicle:)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its always like that lol. Battery, starter, alternator, always passes in there test but not in the actual vehicle:)
Which should give you an idea that "off-the-car" testing of every one of those components is a crapshoot; about two steps removed from a total waste of time, effort, and enthusiasm.

At least it's "free".

That's why I test that stuff "ON-THE-CAR" whenever possible.

In this case, I'd run the engine until it failed, then do some roadside diagnostics with a screwdriver, 12V test-light, a 12--16 gauge jumper wire about two or three feet long, and a spark tester.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And don't forget O'Toole's comment on Murphy's Law. "Murphy was an Optimist.":D

Did you work in the auto repair industry as a professional? Virtually every guy I know from The Profession has a "bad attitude" and is quite proud of it, having earned it via experience and honest labor.

"Star Trek" mythology has the Klingons being proud of their ability to create new and inventive curse-words and phrases. They should be auto mechanics.

Lord knows, harsh language has solved almost as many problems as a proper reading of the service manual.