stock radio controller & Aftermarket head unit Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennyP

Reaction score
looking to keep the stock radio controller for the clock and aesthetics of my 88' K1500 Silverado. My question is how do I wire it up to keep the same functionality as stock(illumination, dimming, clock memory) minus the radio part. This particular truck was my grandfathers that I have inherited. I have fond memories in this truck. Pushing radio buttons what not. empty dash radio "pocket" is a no go for me. Anyway, I have everything I need for good tunes, just trying to figure this wiring dilemma before I create more problems with my aftermarket head unit. This maybe an easy splice, I may be over complicating this splice job.

KennyP

Reaction score
Thinking about splicing the stock radio controller into the wiring harness that crutchfield sent me that splices into the harness that comes with the aftermarket radio.

Hope that makes sense. Will that work?

I am also running larger speaker wire.

Jay P

Reaction score
Maybe if you wired just the power ground ignition and illumination wires? But I'm not sure. The aftermarket Kenwood stereo in my truck threw a miswiring code simply because one of my speakers where out and it was drawing too much power.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say leave the under dash part and everything intact. Unpin the speaker wires and tape them up. Or if you're getting the harness I'm thinking of, splice into it and run a hot and ground to the under dash part. That should be all it needs to function the way you want. You'll need a wiring diagram and maybe a pigtail from the scrap yard to you'll have something to splice into.

eyesi

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@eyesi : 1988 K1500 Silverado Reg Cab

sorry, i see you posted it at begining of tread, here is
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

chevy radio wiring, specially old ones, have thick wires you can use

brown pin 6 wire comes from dimmer light rheostat

Last edited:

KennyP

Reaction score
This is a major breakthrough. Thanks eyesi, now it's up to me to put them together for a dry run before I go all out and install the new head unit. Maybe I should do a built thread for future reference in case others want to do it.

@eyesi where did you get those diagrams, they are amazing

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Seems interesting. What are you trying to do, get the factory buttons to control the aftermarket radio? Because that would be nifty.