Stiff throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does tranny pressure add to throttle pedal resistance?
91 C1500,305,700R4/4L60
With engine at rest throttle is easy to mash. With engine running and TV cable disconnected throttle is easy to mash. Hook up the TV cable and it's like trying to push the truck with my right foot. OK,that's an exaggeration but it is difficult to make a smooth start from a standstill. I checked the TV cable adjustment and reset it but still no joy.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tv valve should pull easier with engine running. i had the opposite problem on my square body. tv was so hard to move witj engine off it wouldnt open the throttle blades all the way to set fast idle on the Qjet. made for some hard starting. I would look at replacing the cable before you tear into it

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 91 c1500/350/700r4 is like this. Definitely have to "give'r some stank" when it's running. Been like that since I got it back in 96. Normal to me.
It's definitely a quick learning curve going from that truck to either of my Dodgers.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having the TV cable cause a stiff throttle pedal ONLY when the engine is running it TOTALLY new to me.

Something is wrong.

I'm not smart enough to know exactly what, but my best guess is you have problems with the throttle valve in the transmissionn valve body, which is transfering up the TV cable to the throttle lever on the TBI, and thus to the gas pedal.

Given how important TV pressure is to the longevity of the transmission, I'd be looking into that sooner, rather than later.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
91 C1500,305,700R4/4L60
With engine at rest throttle is easy to mash. With engine running and TV cable disconnected throttle is easy to mash. Hook up the TV cable and it's like trying to push the truck with my right foot. OK,that's an exaggeration but it is difficult to make a smooth start from a standstill. I checked the TV cable adjustment and reset it but still no joy.
Greetings Scooterwrench,

I like your no-nonsense process of elimination & concise problem description!

From over here it looks like there are 3 general areas to focus on, with the
goal of eliminating 2...and then diving down the rabbit hole for the remaining
area, learn as much as we can, so that we either fix it ourselves and/or be able
to understand the guru who is fluent in all things 700R4. (hint: I agree
w/Schurkey, I think he's on the right track. Disclaimer: I am not a 700R4
guru by any stretch, just a troubleshooter throwing my 2 cents into the hat.)

OK, reading around the Internet it seems that you are up against a relatively rare
(or rarely reported?) problem. I did see some discussion about this in a couple of
'vette forums, and the discussion usually centered around a bad TV cable, with
a couple of anecdotal worn throttle body bushings thrown in for good measure.

...But before we start to load up the parts cannon, in the interest of science
(and your piggy bank) let's see if we can A) look at the big picture, B) figure
out some low-cost ad-hoc testing to tighten up the problem description, and
then C) figure out which guru we gotta find in order to confirm our troubleshooting
results, so that D) you can make an informed opinion on whether to tackle it
yourself vs tracking down a 700R4 savant that can fix this on the first try.

Big Picture:

Proper line pressure is critical to the longevity of the 700R4. (all autos, actually)
Constant too low = slipping/burned clutches. Constant too high = ancillary parts
failure due to shock loading of components due to harsh gear changes.

So, in order to hit the reliability/driveability sweet spot, the throttle valve cable
was added by the designers to establish a mechanical communication path between
the powerplant & 700R4 so that the tranny can know how much torque is
headed it's way & act accordingly. (Actually torque demand by the human
as expressed by the degrees of throttle opening.)

In English, as the human constantly varies the throttle opening according to
changing conditions, the TV cable translates this movement directly into
sliding the 700R4's internal throttle valve back & forth inside a bore.

This valve's movement in turn modulates the line pressure between
(using round numbers) ~100 psi at idle to ~200 psi at full throttle.
Makes perfect sense...but while you are reading the rest of this
keep in the back of your mind how many gazillion times that this magic
throttle valve inside your 700R4 has traveled up & down the associated
bore in the past 32 years?

What material is this bore made out of vis-a-vis the throttle valve itself?
(Hint: If we built a transmission today, would we pick metallurgy that would still
have factory clearances in the year 2055? Or maybe the bean counters would
insist on something more affordable in order to remain competitive in today's
price-conscious marketplace? :0)

Tightening up the problem description / Proposed process of elimination

Apologies for taking so long to set the table, but if we all agree on the same big
picture then a common consensus should be easier to achieve.

OK, so we have 3 possible areas to evaluate: wear in the throttle body, bad
TV cable, or a problem with the 700R4's internal throttle valve causing sticking
at the beginning of the travel / cocking in the bore / or wear somehow allowing
the line pressure being modulated to somehow be coupled back towards the
throttle/human?

What to do first? Theoretical troubleshooters will assign a *probability* percentage
to each component, and insist on going from most probable to least probable,
in that order. (Think engineers directing the repair strategy that never leave their
cubicle, and don't comprehend that the 1st part is 6 hours of soul-sucking agony
to get to, while the 2nd part is an easy-peasy 5 minute R&R...especially when
the probability of these 2 parts is close to a 50/50 tossup! Ask me how I know this? :0)

Some troubleshooters swear by using only price instead of probability to prioritize
their list. Most affordable part first, followed by the next most affordable, etc.
(Additionally, a lot of times price-sensitive troubleshooters are wont to make the
repair effort even more challenging by adding the 'cheap parts' variable to this approach.
NOTE: Despite all their focus on cost, this 'non-data-driven/wishful thinking' troubleshooting
strategy can easily blow the repair budget.)

Mechanics under the gun in a production environment (who aren't buying the parts)
will often prioritize the parts replacement by how long each part takes to swap out.
The 10 minute R&R will always be chosen over the 1 hour part...even if the 1 hour
part has a 90% probability of fixing the issue and the 10 minute part is only 10%. (!)

If asked about this, they simply don't care that the customer had to buy 2 parts in
order to fix 1 problem. (And in certain situations, they are incentivized by the number
of parts that are sold, making this even more problematic for the customer's piggy bank.)

I prefer a common-sense amalgam of all of the above. I take probability + price + how
hard is it to get to in order to come up with the most advantageous sequencing.
In addition, I like to find out how hard it is to prove/disprove that a particular part is
functioning correctly in order to come up with the biggest troubleshooting ROI.

Given the above, I want to start with the throttle body. Is there ANY appreciable play
in the throttle shaft, especially on the side where the TV cable is connected? In a
perfect world, the shaft has only 1 degree of freedom -- that is, it only spins smoothly
in the bushing, and doesn't move up & down/side-to-side/etc due to wear/excess clearances.

Even though throttle body bushing wear is a lower probability overall than a worn TV cable,
this failure is easily proved/disproved in <5 minutes by a visual inspection while
manipulating/futzing with the linkage.

Moving on to the TV cable, this is a perennial favorite part to blame, but at the same time I
would want to prove it's bad to myself before I swapped it. Some would argue that if
you disconnect it from the circuit and it moves freely by hand that you should be good to go.

Others insist that the constant back and forth motion of the inner steel cable may have worn
into the inner walls of the cable (think using piano wire to cut the goo surrounding a windshield)
so you need a tension load on the cable in order to stimulate the fault.

In order to do this (and also quantify the internal cable drag at the same time) I'd put a fish scale
on one end of the cable and pull on the other. In a matter of moments you should either gain
confidence that this part is not the perpetrator or you have located the culprit & now can order
a replacement with confidence.

You must be registered for see images attach

Analog or digital is your choice...and the price of admission is way better than just
throwing a new TV cable at it & crossing your fingers. :0)

Assuming that you've proven to yourself that both the throttle body & TV cable are still in
serviceable condition, all that's left is the 700R4's internal throttle valve.

After several searches came up with the typical confusing mish-mosh, I finally found a
700R4 Whisperer by the name of "clinebarger", who neatly laid out the internal throttle
valve & how to correct the "TV valve sticking problems that plague 700R4's in a single
screen:

Follow this link, & then scroll down to entry #115 & start reading. (Note: This screen snap is #117.)

Of course, let's say that by the process of elimination we have convinced ourselves that the fault
lies with the malfunction of the 700R4's internal throttle valve. But we aren't done yet. Why?

Thinking back to the throttle valve vs worn bore discussion at the beginning of all this, we have yet
to determine if the throttle valve as bad part the Perpetrator of the symptom...or is it a
good part that is the Victim of a worn bore after 3+ decades of service?

Check this out:

Link:

OK, at this point I am on some pretty thin ice from a knowledge perspective, so
as a troubleshooter I must stop here & let more informed folks take over.

I know that we have covered a lot of ground...and if the 3 possible bad parts
were each <$10 apiece, and all were in easy reach in the engine bay, then I
wouldn't have gone through all of the above.

Instead, you have 2 relatively easy parts to prove/disprove...and once they
are eliminated, you are now looking at a somewhat esoteric/spendy fix
inside your transmission...requiring a genuine SME (Subject Matter Expert)
to put things right for the minimal number of parts & moolah.

Again, I really liked your troubleshooting approach, and I eagerly await
further info from your ongoing troubleshooting session.

Hope this helps -- best of luck in the hunt!

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings Scooterwrench,

I like your no-nonsense process of elimination & concise problem description!

From over here it looks like there are 3 general areas to focus on, with the
goal of eliminating 2...and then diving down the rabbit hole for the remaining
area, learn as much as we can, so that we either fix it ourselves and/or be able
to understand the guru who is fluent in all things 700R4. (hint: I agree
w/Schurkey, I think he's on the right track. Disclaimer: I am not a 700R4
guru by any stretch, just a troubleshooter throwing my 2 cents into the hat.)

OK, reading around the Internet it seems that you are up against a relatively rare
(or rarely reported?) problem. I did see some discussion about this in a couple of
'vette forums, and the discussion usually centered around a bad TV cable, with
a couple of anecdotal worn throttle body bushings thrown in for good measure.

...But before we start to load up the parts cannon, in the interest of science
(and your piggy bank) let's see if we can A) look at the big picture, B) figure
out some low-cost ad-hoc testing to tighten up the problem description, and
then C) figure out who we gotta find in order to confirm our troubleshooting
results, so that D) you can make an informed opinion on whether to tackle it
yourself, or track down the 700R4 savant that can fix this on the first try.

Big Picture:

Proper line pressure is critical to the longevity of the 700R4. (all autos, actually)
Constant too low = slipping/burned clutches. Constant too high = ancillary parts
failure due to shock loading of components due to harsh gear changes.

So, in order to hit the reliability/driveability sweet spot, the throttle valve cable
was added by the designers to establish a mechanical communication path between
the powerplant & 700R4 so that the tranny can know how much torque is
headed it's way & act accordingly. (Actually torque demand by the human
as expressed by the degrees of throttle opening.)

In English, as the human constantly varies the throttle opening according to
changing conditions, the TV cable translates this movement directly into
sliding the 700R4's internal throttle valve back & forth inside a bore.

This valve's movement in turn modulates the line pressure between
(using round numbers) ~100 psi at idle to ~200 psi at full throttle.
Makes perfect sense...but while you are reading the rest of this
keep in the back of your mind how many gazillion times that this magic
throttle valve inside your 700R4 has traveled up & down the associated
bore in the past 32 years?

What material is this bore made out of vis-a-vis the throttle valve itself?
(Hint: If we built a transmission today, would we pick metallurgy that would still
have factory clearances in the year 2055? Or maybe the bean counters would
insist on something more affordable in order to remain competitive in today's
price-conscious marketplace? :0)

Tightening up the problem description / Proposed process of elimination

Apologies for taking so long to set the table, but if we all agree on the same big
picture then a common consensus should be easier to achieve.

OK, so we have 3 possible areas to evaluate: wear in the throttle body, bad
TV cable, or a problem with the 700R4's internal throttle valve causing sticking
at the beginning of the travel / cocking in the bore / or wear somehow allowing
the line pressure being modulated to somehow be coupled back towards the
throttle/human?

What to do first? Theoretical troubleshooters will assign a *probability* percentage
to each component, and insist on going from most probable to least probable,
in that order. (Think engineers directing the repair strategy that never leave their
cubicle, and don't comprehend that the 1st part is 6 hours of soul-sucking agony
to get to, while the 2nd part is an easy-peasy 5 minute R&R...especially when
the probability of these 2 parts is a 50/50 tossup! Ask me how I know this? :0)

Some troubleshooters swear by using only price instead of probability to prioritize
their list. Most affordable part first, followed by the next most affordable, etc.
(Additionally, a lot of times price-sensitive troubleshooters are wont to make the
repair effort even more challenging by adding the 'cheap parts' variable to this approach.
NOTE: Despite all their focus on cost, this 'non-data-driven/wishful thinking' troubleshooting
strategy can easily blow the repair budget.)

Mechanics under the gun in a production environment (who aren't buying the parts)
will often prioritize the parts replacement by how long each part takes to swap out.
The 10 minute R&R will always be chosen over the 1 hour part...even if the 1 hour
part has a 90% probability of fixing the issue and the 10 minute part is only 10%. (!)

If asked about this, they simply don't care that the customer had to buy 2 parts in
order to fix 1 problem. (And in certain situations, they are incentivized by the number
of parts that are sold, making this even more problematic for the customer's piggy bank.)

I prefer a common-sense amalgam of all of the above. I take probability + price + how
hard is it to get to in order to come up with the most advantageous sequencing.
In addition, I like to find out how hard it is to prove/disprove that a particular part is
functioning correctly in order to come up with the biggest troubleshooting ROI.

Given the above, I want to start with the throttle body. Is there ANY appreciable play
in the throttle shaft, especially on the side where the TV cable is connected? In a
perfect world, the shaft has only 1 degree of freedom -- that is, it only spins smoothly
in the bushing, and doesn't move up & down/side-to-side/etc due to wear/excess clearances.

Even though throttle body bushing wear is a lower probability overall than a worn TV cable,
this failure is easily proved/disproved in <5 minutes by a visual inspection while
manipulating/futzing with the linkage.

Moving on to the TV cable, this is a perennial favorite part to blame, but at the same time I
would want to prove it's bad to myself before I swapped it. Some would argue that if
you disconnect it from the circuit and it moves freely by hand that you should be good to go.

Others insist that the constant back and forth motion of the inner steel cable may have worn
into the inner walls of the cable (think using piano wire to cut the goo surrounding a windshield)
so you need a tension load on the cable in order to stimulate the fault.

In order to do this (and also quantify the internal cable drag at the same time) I'd put a fish scale
on one end of the cable and pull on the other. In a matter of moments you should either gain
confidence that this part is not the perpetrator or you have located the culprit & now can order
a replacement with confidence.

Analog or digital is your choice...and the price of admission is way better than just
throwing a new TV cable at it & crossing your fingers. :0)

Assuming that you've proven to yourself that both the throttle body & TV cable are still in
serviceable condition, all that's left is the 700R4's internal throttle valve.

After several searches came up with the typical confusing mish-mosh, I finally found a
700R4 Whisperer by the name of "clinebarger", who neatly laid out the internal throttle
valve & how to correct the "TV valve sticking problems that plague 700R4's in a single
screen:

Follow this link, & then scroll down to entry #115 & start reading. (Note: This screen snap is #117.)

Of course, let's say that by the process of elimination we have convinced ourselves that the fault
lies with the malfunction of the 700R4's internal throttle valve. But we aren't done yet. Why?

Thinking back to the throttle valve vs worn bore discussion at the beginning of all this, we have yet
to determine if the throttle valve as bad part the Perpetrator of the symptom...or is it a
good part that is the Victim of a worn bore after 3+ decades of service?

Check this out:

Link:

OK, at this point I am on some pretty thin ice from a knowledge perspective, so
as a troubleshooter I must stop here & let more informed folks take over.

I know that we have covered a lot of ground...and if the 3 possible bad parts
were each <$10 apiece, and all were in easy reach in the engine bay, then I
wouldn't have gone through all of the above.

Instead, you have 2 relatively easy parts to prove/disprove...and once they
are eliminated, you are now looking at a somewhat esoteric/spendy fix
inside your transmission...requiring a genuine SME (Subject Matter Expert)
to put things right for the minimal number of parts & moolah.

Again, I really liked your troubleshooting approach, and I eagerly await
further info from your ongoing troubleshooting session.

Hope this helps -- best of luck in the hunt!
Thanks for your research Trip!
The TB seems to work smoothly with no appreciable wear in the throttle shaft. One of the first things I did was to separate the throttle return springs and unhook the inboard coil to reduce return tension. That created a light pedal with the engine off but didn't seem to lighten the load much with the engine running. Next test was throttle cable. As you stated a cable will wear into the cable housing over time and create binding so what I did was remove the cable,blow oil through it with compressed air and reinstall it turned 180deg from the original installation so the cable would run on the unworn side of the housing. No change. I have unhooked the TV cable and slowly pulled it while feeling for any tight spots or binding and it seems to pull smoothly. You can feel that there is a lighter spring for the first 70% or so of travel then it runs up against a heavier spring.
I will have to get a fish scale and test cable pull with engine off and engine running. There is a tranny shop within a mile from my house,I'll drive down there tomorrow and see if they have any insight before I start just throwing money at it. On the flip side the old truck has 230,000 miles on it and does need a filter and fluid change so a TV cable would be easy to do while I've got the pan off. I'd like to figure this out before I drop the pan and dump the fluid. Tranny fluid ain't cheap anymore!!!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
91 C1500,305,700R4/4L60
That sounds like a bad TV cable. The wire frays inside the sheath and the loose strands will bind inside.
If you have no idea how old that TV cable is you need a new one.
Just pay very very close attention to the proper installation and adjusment procedures.
Spend some time online looking it up.
The instructions that come with the new cable are not quite the whole story.
The life of 700R4 is entirely dependant on the correct adjustment and orientation of the TV cable.
Line pressure, shift points, everything.
Dont drive it untill you figure it out.
A bad cable or bad adjustment can smoke a 700R4 really really fast.
I cooked 4 of them back in the day.
Buy the best quality TV cable you can find.
If it still binds with a new cable you have an internal trans problem.
Not necessarily the end of the world but gets a bit more involved.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the transgo line up, while it fixes the shortcomings of the stock TV valve does produce a stiffer pedal
Maybe. Sometimes replacing the TV cable is just a thing you need to check off of the list before you decide that it is binding inside the trans.
The new cable will have more throw and more release than the old cable.
That increased binding or "Sticking" may be caused by the new cable moving components further than they have moved in many years and that corrected throw and action makes them stick on built up crud that the valve didnt hit with the old slack sticking cable.
Installing a new TV cable on an already failing 700R4 is pretty much a hail mary hope to god this works repair.
If the new cable runs free before you install it, But it binds in the transmission after you install it.
You have an internal inside the case transmission problem.
If it runs free and clear without being connected to the TBI or carb but it binds up when connected you have a linkage or bracket or length of throw binding problem.
The steps to properly set up a TV cable or any type of throttle cable are basically no different than adjusting the brakes on a bicycle.
it pretty much works the same way.
It is basically the same theory and the same type of mechanical action.
If you dont get that right on a 700R4 you will smoke that transmission.
If you get it wrong on your bicycle made from stolen parts and you run headfirst into a VW bus and get launched off a 200 hundred foot cliff and roll throgh nettles and rose bushes and land in some dudes swimming pool and almost drown and then the woman driving the bus turns out to be a nurse with a vanload of cloth baby diapers and duct tape and she binds you up and takes you home and then tries to sue your stupid semi flayyed skinless dumb ass for the price of the bloody diapers.
Being brought home in cuffs and bent over the hood was no big deal at alll.
Thats a whole different story.
Bloody diapers duct tape took them awhile.
I was raised by a single mom so I will leave it up to your imaginations to figure out where that path led.
All because I didnt understand cable adjustments and thier actions and interactions with component control.
There really is no choice to be made here.
Either fix the TV cable so you dont end up cooking the transmission,
or end up on the side of the road in a vw bus with bloody diapers duct tapped to you.