4l80e throttle from stop, no movement then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 K2500 4l80e 350, this very well might not be a tranny problem, but I need to get input from my peers that are much wiser than myself.

2 times from an idle, in gear-stopped, I push the accelerator pedal and the engine revs, but there is no forward movement. Out of habit, I take my foot off the throttle and the motor stumbles and dies. I start it back up, no issue, drive like normal. Can’t figure it out. It is inconsistent and I can’t force replication.

Sits fine at idle no issues, engine revs like a large load or the wheel is chalked, then when I get out of the throttle it dies. Restart and it drives fine, shifts super smooth. One of the two times was on an incline, that’s the only difference. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks for y’all’s help!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What's the fluid level like? Mine doesn't like to move from a parking spot (with the load we had this weekend) until I put a few ounces of fluid in ( no more than 6 oz.). Once that's done, it was fine....

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fluid looks great color wise and level last time I checked. I'll check again.
No codes set. I though TCC as well, but wouldn't that cause it to die at idle in gear?