4L80e No engine braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
With the 400sbc it flashes about 2200. The point here is, you can't know if the converter is the same without direct knowledge. But the OP is about coasting, which is built in to the trans/converter and shift scheme.

No, engine braking is a hydraulic function. Automatic shifts and lock/unlock are in the tune. Manually moving the shifter around changes where fluid is sent. I think OP will find his issue in that servo but the jury is out on mine. I find it unlikely that it's wasted the roller clutch, overruns, and the intermediate band/servo while still being otherwise functional all this time.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, engine braking is a hydraulic function. Automatic shifts and lock/unlock are in the tune. Manually moving the shifter around changes where fluid is sent. I think OP will find his issue in that servo but the jury is out on mine. I find it unlikely that it's wasted the roller clutch, overruns, and the intermediate band/servo while still being otherwise functional all this time.
I don't think you're in a position to tell me how it all works. Manually moving the shifter tells the PCM what you want, then it does what it thinks it should. The point of fact is that the torque converter is a one-way hydraulic device. It has very little resistance to coasting, and the differences between that hydraulic effort are due to clearances and RPM, which mostly comes down to gearing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think you're in a position to tell me how it all works. Manually moving the shifter tells the PCM what you want, then it does what it thinks it should. The point of fact is that the torque converter is a one-way hydraulic device. It has very little resistance to coasting, and the differences between that hydraulic effort are due to clearances and RPM, which mostly comes down to gearing.

Maybe at low rpm it does not have much resistance, but if you bring the transmission input shaft up to high rpm via downshifting , the engine braking with the PCM in DFCO will nearly plant your face into the steering wheel. At 70 mph, I can pull the shifter into 1st and come to nearly a complete stop in about 1/4 mile or so. The transmission will automatically downshift to the next gear when the revs will not exceed about 5,000 rpm when it gears down. With the exception of deleting the Urban Mode BS, my Manual Detent shift tables are straight out of a stock 2005 6.0L van.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

And you're certainly not in a position to speak of how the PCM operates.