Steve, my 1995 K1500 Cowboy Cadillac.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Onward to the end of May! Nice enough weather to do some more serious work. I installed my new springs. They are a Competition Products VSA3 kit with a set of minus locks to correct the height. The passenger side was very easy, but the drivers side was a pain. I had to remove the brake booster and work right up against the firewall to do cylinder 8. Then I bumped the pushrod into the hole and it stuck to the magnet, which is stronger than my pocket magnet. I had to remove the intake manifold AGAIN to get it out. Once I was done it ran awesome and I didn't have to worry about valve float any more. Just the crappy rockers.

You must be registered for see images attach

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Eagle eyed readers may notice the heat shield wrap added to the wire harness. I hadn't accounted for the excess heat from the heat riser passage and it was starting to melt the conduit, so I used some of the scrap left over from the heater hose shielding to protect them. It works really well so far.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Back in 96-ish, I was entertaining the thought of building a 500 Caddy engine, but went with a 454 I got a deal on. You've brought me back to those days. Same company is still the best source for Cadillac parts and builds, but WOW the prices! $600 for a set of aluminum valve covers?! They're great engines though. I'm going to follow along with you, and see how hard it is to find an engine local to me before I get too serious into my research.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Back in 96-ish, I was entertaining the thought of building a 500 Caddy engine, but went with a 454 I got a deal on. You've brought me back to those days. Same company is still the best source for Cadillac parts and builds, but WOW the prices! $600 for a set of aluminum valve covers?! They're great engines though. I'm going to follow along with you, and see how hard it is to find an engine local to me before I get too serious into my research.
Actually I have one in the garage, from the Burb we had that was Cadillac powered. Guy in Houston was building one a year in the 70s. It was a 472, dad was converting it to a 500. I have a brand new 500 crankshaft, still in the box, and it's been stored properly, standing up on the rear flange. I just have to find all the pieces.....the short block is on a stand, and parts of the engine are all over the shop. We bought the truck in 79 and the motor was full of sludge. So dad and I pulled it( he also needed to fix some sketchy welds on the chassis). Long story short, we took it apart and cleaned it up, and never got it back together. Too many projects disease......
Once I get it all located, I will take pictures. That's the plan, to clean up the shop building this fall and winter. See what I have, and try to sell what I don't need anymore.
Sorry MIHELA for jacking your thread. I love the way your truck build is shaping up, and it's good to see how you've overcome the issues that have come up!

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Actually I have one in the garage, from the Burb we had that was Cadillac powered. Guy in Houston was building one a year in the 70s. It was a 472, dad was converting it to a 500. I have a brand new 500 crankshaft, still in the box, and it's been stored properly, standing up on the rear flange. I just have to find all the pieces.....the short block is on a stand, and parts of the engine are all over the shop. We bought the truck in 79 and the motor was full of sludge. So dad and I pulled it( he also needed to fix some sketchy welds on the chassis). Long story short, we took it apart and cleaned it up, and never got it back together. Too many projects disease......
Once I get it all located, I will take pictures. That's the plan, to clean up the shop building this fall and winter. See what I have, and try to sell what I don't need anymore.
Sorry MIHELA for jacking your thread. I love the way your truck build is shaping up, and it's good to see how you've overcome the issues that have come up!
DIBS!!! PM being typed up now...

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
So my buddy needed his wideband back to install in his Subaru for his own logging purposes, so I had to find a replacement. I really have no use for the gauge itself because it's too distracting. I bought a Spartan and wired it to the PCM the same as before. This time I pulled a ground from the PCM, and got key on power from the wiring that used to go to the DERM as I have no airbag. The seat sits too close to the wheel and I think it would do more harm than good.