Steering wheel spline. Airbag to classic style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mackbuster

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen hubs for non airbag steering wheels but only for 94 and below. I was wondering if the splines on the shaft is the same in my 97 tahoe. I'm thinking it is but it's illegal since some airbag law regulation bs. I don't want to spend the money with out knowing.
Thanks for any help

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The spline is the same, but the steering wheel offset is way different. If you take a airbag steering wheel off and put a earlier non-airbag steering wheel on, your knuckles will hit the blinker lever every time you turn. Its only like 1/2" away from it.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You would have to fabricate up like a 3" spacer and run a deep offset wheel. I have seen a couple done, but it always looks like a hack job because of the hole in the column covers (where the steering wheel mounts) is huge on the airbag trucks. To my knowledge, no one makes anything like this.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grant makes a 2" spacer #4000
You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

Reaction score
I guess i'll put my foot in my mouth, I have never seen one. If you run that and a deep offset wheel, you may can pull it off.

Mackbuster

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to do some research. I've seen some around my model year online that look really clean just hub and wheel Thanks for all the help

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here is my grant wheel in my 97 with that spacer my truck is non airbag because its a 1 ton but it should give you an idea of the look and it is the same spline
You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

Reaction score
Maybe its the angle of the pic, but that still looks mighty close to the blinker lever to me :shrug:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I tried a Grant wheel with basically the same amount of "dish" (almost none) as the woodgrain Grant in that pic; using the Grant billet adapter which I guess is slightly shorter than that spacer shown. Hand would hit the signal lever. Also had to trim off the lip on the column shroud so that the bottom of the adapter didn't hit it. To me it was obvious it wasn't going to work cleanly so I said F it. :gr_grin:

Billet Specialties has an adapter meant for these applications that is a nice long smooth piece of polished aluminum; looks pretty good. Downside is their steering wheels cost a bit more than Grants do.

Richard