Need help with steering wheel airbag.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m having a problem trying to remove the steering wheel airbag on my ‘98 1500. I’ve seen YouTube videos and I have service manuals for the ‘96 model year but I can’t find the right technique for releasing the springs from the retainers. Is the 96 the same? Videos only say how to do it but for some reason I can’t get it right. After two hours of unsuccessful tries I’m asking for help.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY !!! 2 small long screwdrivers. Two holes on the back of the air bag. Rock the screwdrivers in the holes, side to side motion, and you will catch the spring holding them in. Push to the side while pulling gently on the air bag.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY !!! 2 small long screwdrivers. Two holes on the back of the air bag. Rock the screwdrivers in the holes, side to side motion, and you will catch the spring holding them in. Push to the side while pulling gently on the air bag.

To be clear, I believe you're pushing the spring outward. I don't bother with the battery, I just keep my face behind the bag.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not through. Perseverance is a must if you work on vehicles so I’ll stay with it. I guess the spring is built like the 96 model so it’s just a matter of finding it by feel.