Steering Shaft Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Thomas

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum to ask this, but I'm needing help with a steering shaft question.

I have a 1992 K1500 and I'm wanting to upgrade my steering shaft. Mainly because next to the power steering pump and gearbox, all my steering parts are brand new and my truck still has play in the steering wheel. I've been told that a mid-90's Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft is a popular upgrade. How true is this and how do you make it work? I've been told it's fairly simple to do. Can someone walk me through on how to do it?

If this question is not in the right forum, can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you and Merry Christmas.

J Thomas

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have question because I'm lost on what to do. What year XJ Shaft will I need for a 92 K1500? Reason I ask is because it looks like 94 to 95, the XJ shaft changed. Do I need a pre-94 or post-95? Thanks!

sgmbald1

Reaction score
I used one out of an 85 XJ on my 88 c1500... Worked great and it got rid of all the slop in the steering.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I slid the new steering knuckle up onto the shaft, pushed the bolt through til it hit the shaft and made a little mark. Used that mark as a reference to start grinding. Just a little at a time, and check the bolt to see when it slides all the way to the threads.

J Thomas

Reaction score
I believe I have found the answer to my question, but y'all double check me if possible.

The 80-94 has the clamp that bolts to the gear box on the side of the u-joint.

95-00 has the clamp in-line with the u-joint.

Does this sound correct?