Steering play survey: How loose is yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i have stabilizer, xj shaft, rebuilt my steering box and reset all the preloads, soon ill do the whole heim tierod mod and what not....that is if i dont switch to solid axle. i think my play is mostly pitman because thats the only thing i havent done.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I kind of wonder on mine.. It "feels" like about one to two inches of steering play when you're driving, but when I have it running and watch the front rim, it actually starts responding to input in under an inch (somewhere between 1/4-1/2 inches). I'm sure there's a bit (or more) of sidewall deflection involved. It feels pretty funky on backcountry hilly roads, and takes concentration, for sure!

Tyler, when you're talking about XJ shaft, do you mean the column, or the link between the pitman and idler on XJ's? I wouldn't have thought that (the later item) stout enough for these trucks..it was always a questionable item to look at with XJ death wobble problems.

EDITED - Never-mind Tyler, I googled it :)

Last edited:

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I'd like mine to be tighter, probably about the normal 3/4 inch of play, I can turn the wheel with my pinky, but yet I can swerve the truck when needed

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got about 2" of play on what is probably the original front end parts at 157k.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 2 of them in my garage just haven't put them in yet. It will be a welcome upgrade to my truck, rag joints don't last with my setup.

You will enjoy the XJ shaft! takes all but a few minutes to put in, after you take it apart and paint it of course lol

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Mine feels like 2 inches side to side! I'm not to sure how far it actually is and its been over 6-8 months since the truck has been drivable. All the front end components have been changed but for the steering box and rag joint. I'm planning on doing the XJ swap if I can ever find one. Also debating on new box or just a rebuild kit...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I think that a lot of play is caused by the design of the sector shaft, within the box itself. It tends to have a fair amount of side play from day one, & only gets worse with age. Here's an article on steering boxes & pumps. This using AGR's mods. This is kinda expensive though, & there are other Co.s that offer similar mods for less. The complete story of 'Street Trucks' magazine 'Project G machine' is the reason why I bought a GMT400 in the first place! Otherwise, I'd have bought another square body! http://www.sporttruck.com/projectbuild/0607st_1994_custom_chevy_truck_performance_steering/

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
1/2" play at most, everything is still pretty tight....but then again, I just hit 45,000 miles haha

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fergbkf