Steering play survey: How loose is yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess 4-5" of play. I can be on the road at any speed and freely twiddle the wheel back and forth from the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and the truck will not wiggle at all on the road. 130K, all original.

Reaction score
About 2" of play. Bugs the $hit outta me too. Gonna go through the front end once this crappy weather straightens out and the back yard dries up so I can start workin on it. Have tie rod ends, pitman and idler, and plan to either rebuild or pick up a remanned steering box and ball joints also as soon as funds are available for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
hmm.... I geuss my family has been lucky with our '400s. We've had two '94 suburbans (one 2wd, the other 4wd) and both had tight steering. My truck also has tight steering.

HOWEVER- the '92 F-150 I used to drive had about 8-10" of play and was a royal pain in the a$$. Had to turn the steering wheel half way around before it caught.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
About an 1/8" of play. Truck has 178,000 miles but has new ball joints and pitman arm. I also adjusted the steering box.
Next will be the rag joint. Maybe a solid one. I can't use the XJ shaft without some sort of support for the shaft..
Suspension is bone stock.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess 4-5" of play. I can be on the road at any speed and freely twiddle the wheel back and forth from the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and the truck will not wiggle at all on the road. 130K, all original.

that's how mine was, went to do pitman arm, and found that steering box was leaking bad, did that to, now its great

im at 240,000 tho

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From about 12-1 o clock of play. Its what I consider very little seeing as my dads 03 chevy 2500hd has from 11-1 o clock of play at 90,000 miles whereas my 400 is at 140k