Steering issues... how does the steering system work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Assembled.

You must be registered for see images attach

A tip. Get the lines attached to the pump, but don't tighten them up. It makes attaching the lines to the steering box much easier.
Get everything assembled, then snug it all down.

I was lucky. Mine died in the driveway. Catastrophically. All at once. Just parking. Emptied the pump in about 10 seconds.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I'm confused now. I unplugged the connector on the steering column and took it for a test drive (50 mph) and the invisible hand jerking on the wheel was gone. It seemed like it steered really easy, so I'm guessing full boost. I plugged the connector back together and it still seemed the same and the invisible hand is still gone. Idk if fiddling with the wires finally broke it for good or what.

Sounds like that's exactly what happened to me. Personally I would replace that sensor and call it a day, the EVO is still intact on both of my '97s and I actually really like it. The column sensors are just prone to failure for some reason. I've replaced them in both of my trucks at least once.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not familiar with the EVO, but didn't that start sometime in 97? Can the PS pump and steering gear be replaced with say, a 96 pump and gear to eliminate the EVO? Or is there more to it?

I'm still curious.

My 97 K1500 ECSB was built in Nov, 96 and it does not have the EVO. When did EVO start, and was it in the trucks too, or just the SUV's?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still curious.

My 97 K1500 ECSB was built in Nov, 96 and it does not have the EVO. When did EVO start, and was it in the trucks too, or just the SUV's?

I always assumed EVO was in everything from '97 on. My '97 C1500 and '97 K1500 Suburban both have it.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It might be because my 97 was built early in the year--it's almost identical to my 96.

I was thinking the EVO started first in the SUV's then the pickups in later years. They must have started installing EVO in the pickups soon after mine was built. My friend had a Suburban built in Sept 97, and it had EVO.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
How much does the sensor cost if l have to replace it? And is it available in the aftermarket or do I have to go to Chevrolet or the treasure yard? Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much does the sensor cost if l have to replace it? And is it available in the aftermarket or do I have to go to Chevrolet or the treasure yard? Thanks

I posted an Amazon link on the last page, it's GM part number 26064468. Runs about $60. There is a Dorman version, part number 905510. It's only about $10 cheaper than the GM part though, I prefer to spend the extra for OEM.

Personally I wouldn't go to the trouble of pulling one at a salvage yard, simply because of how many people seem to let them go out and never change them. It would suck to have to do the job all over again if the salvage part was bad.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes it would! The first 99 Burb we had was bought used (from a Ford dealer! )and had a 30 day warranty. On the first day out of warranty, the power steering hoses started leaking, and I recall changing them was Not Fun! And I was 15 years younger and more limber then. My current truck is starting to handle funny, l think it's the upper bushings and/or lower ball joints but not entirely sure. Replaced the upper joints 18 months ago cause they were toast but the other stuff was OK then

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The EVO is that thing on the back of the pump which the line connects to.

Need to remove the C-clip so as to remove the 1st part. It'll slide off once the C-clip is off.
Then you need to turn that thin nut next to 2nd part of the EVO. You can see the threads on the other side which screw into the P/S pump. This will remove it from the pump's housing.

GM figured out that the system had flaws so they offer an EVO Delete Kit. I looked at that and saw another junction that could be prone to leakage.
I could of just bought the pre '96 line, but I'm cheap. I did mine with low mile pre-'96 wrecker parts.
Just need the one line & this part. $5.00!

This is the pre '96 line with the extra bend that it needs to get around to the rear of the pump. Also shows where & why you need that 2nd part. Be careful when you pull the EVO off of the pump as there's a puck inside there that will fall out. There's a spring behind it. Just make sure to take note of which way the puck faces before it does drop. It has a crimped edge along one side. I don''t know if it makes a diff, but I don't want to have to take all this apart again if it does matter.

Thanks for the info and pictures! I've decided to just delete the EVO stuff instead of repairing it.

If I buy either of the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-1...1&keywords=evo+steering&qid=1590106226&sr=8-8

or

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-926-0...dp/B07YYWH29W/ref=psdc_15731461_t1_B00GV8840I

What are my options? I'm guessing I can use the adapter into the pump and use the elbow and that would connect to my factory 1997 hose? But, would I be able to use only that adapter part into the pump, discard the elbow, and then use a 1996 pressure hose? I'd be getting a new hose this way and eliminating another possible leaking point.