Starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The only clicking that motor does is the stupid check ball in the Pcv valve, it bounces up and down constantly but no other unsettling clicking or similar noises. This morning I grounded a spark plug on the exhaust manifold and had someone start the truck (wasn't starting well as normal) and it was producing a big fat yellow spark and after shes running it goes back to a nice barely visible skinny blue spark so I'm confident that it was the coil (I put on new plug wires and a rotor as well). Only a couple of cold starts will tell if my confidence is grounded in reality lol

Reaction score
The only clicking that motor does is the stupid check ball in the Pcv valve, it bounces up and down constantly but no other unsettling clicking or similar noises. This morning I grounded a spark plug on the exhaust manifold and had someone start the truck (wasn't starting well as normal) and it was producing a big fat yellow spark and after shes running it goes back to a nice barely visible skinny blue spark so I'm confident that it was the coil (I put on new plug wires and a rotor as well). Only a couple of cold starts will tell if my confidence is grounded in reality lol
On a side not as usual I got bit by the plug doing this and it didn't hurt near as bad as it should so deffinantly a weak spark and it has a red top Optima battery and 1 year old acdelco cables and it will crank for about a minute and a half before you can hear the starter start to slow down and it doesn't slow that much

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sorry. I meant turning the Dist rotor by hand back and forth.

If it starts up does it run good? Pulls thru the rpms strong?

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Reaction score
Sorry. I meant turning the Dist rotor by hand back and forth.

If it starts up does it run good? Pulls thru the rpms strong?

Once its running shes a tire killing machine and accelerates pretty well on the top end too and yes if you turn the rotor back and forth it does click but I've messed with the distributors in both my l31 vortec trucks quite a bit (manifold gaskets )and both have always had backlash like that.

Reaction score
Just went on a little test drive and heres the data I got.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One "voltmeter" shows 12.7, the other 13. Why is the voltage so low? Engine running, I'd expect 14+ volts.

12.7 is a fully-charged battery with the alternator NOT producing power. Having that low voltage with the alternator running is a bad sign.

Reaction score
The instrument cluster says 14 and this obd2 reader can get voltage 2 ways, from what the ecu reports and the actual obd2 adapter measuring the voltage at the port and for some reason the option to read from the ecu is unavailable so that voltage reading is what the $20 Amazon obd2 adapter is reading at the port so I wouldn't take that number at face value

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One "voltmeter" shows 12.7, the other 13. Why is the voltage so low? Engine running, I'd expect 14+ volts.

12.7 is a fully-charged battery with the alternator NOT producing power. Having that low voltage with the alternator running is a bad sign.
I use a Bluetooth OBD thing with a tablet for my gauges. All the voltage readouts on it are low.
I have a volt gauge on the dash and it's always 13.4-13.8. Table shows 11.9 and 12.6. Don't know where they are getting their readings from LOL.

bplayer405

Reaction score
I've had the same issues with my 98 K1500 5.7. Went through 3 AZ fuel pumps that showed 55psi of pressure. Went to O's and got a Precision pump that produced 60psi and haven't had a problem with fuel since. I still have the poppets. With the lower pressure my truck would start with starting fluid just fine.

Now recently I had a cap and rotor (gold series) that wouldn't let the engine start when it was damp out or the truck sat for a few days in this cold weather. A hair dryer on the cap for a bit would let it start. Warrantied out the cap and rotor and all is well again. My truck acted exactly as your describing with the cap and rotor issue, but would not start with starting fluid...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cylinder may be filling up with antifreeze.when sitting and cooling down.do your intake gaskets.if it was a head gasket.you would see more we plugs.