Starting and Acceleration Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what plug wires are you going to us? I've bought MSD 8.5mm for mine.
I've got the factory style, Belden brand( from NAPA, but we sold Belden in our parts store). Had good luck with them on other vehicles. And they fit the factory looms too.
I have installed the new coil wire; waiting to do the rest until I have a free day we don't need to drive the Burb in the morning.

Last edited:

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So im going to repeat myself real quick. When i first bought the truck i literally just cleaned the corrosion on both the positive and negative battery cable and the truck fired up like a champ. So I took the truck home and first thing i did was check the spark plugs and wires. Also checked dist cap and tested for spark. Didnt see anything out of the ordinary or any red flags. Like i mentioned truck ran good, actually really well for 2 days then suddenly wouldnt start. Went though all this trouble shooting, fuel pump change, coolant temp sensor fix and maf sensor code and still did not start or run. So just to keep me occupied and give me something to do while i was brainstorming what the hell is going on here i ended up doing a tune up cause i was going to do it anyways. Changed the dist cap, wires, and plugs. And wouldnt you know it that truck fired up and fired up consistently. It's fixed!!!! Aint nothing visually, electronically, or physically wrong with those parts i took off. I have no answer to what just happened. Ive been working on cars for years and never experience this before. Live and learn i guess.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So im going to repeat myself real quick. When i first bought the truck i literally just cleaned the corrosion on both the positive and negative battery cable and the truck fired up like a champ. So I took the truck home and first thing i did was check the spark plugs and wires. Also checked dist cap and tested for spark. Didnt see anything out of the ordinary or any red flags. Like i mentioned truck ran good, actually really well for 2 days then suddenly wouldnt start. Went though all this trouble shooting, fuel pump change, coolant temp sensor fix and maf sensor code and still did not start or run. So just to keep me occupied and give me something to do while i was brainstorming what the hell is going on here i ended up doing a tune up cause i was going to do it anyways. Changed the dist cap, wires, and plugs. And wouldnt you know it that truck fired up and fired up consistently. It's fixed!!!! Aint nothing visually, electronically, or physically wrong with those parts i took off. I have no answer to what just happened. Ive been working on cars for years and never experience this before. Live and learn i guess.
Sometimes it doesn't make much sense! But cap,rotor, coil wire and plugs on my Burb didn't look that bad. But replacing them has pretty much cleared up my random misfires. Truck runs smoother and quieter. More like it did a couple years ago ( and it's never run really bad, just had passlock problems that would keep it from starting).

bhopthewelder

Reaction score
There is 2 torx screws on top of the cap. There is a whodunnitorwhatnot sensor in there. It's small but will make your truck not start sputter or anything. Takes 5 minutes to change. Fairly common problem. I have changed it on 2 trucks and they fired right up both times. I hope this helps someone out there.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is 2 torx screws on top of the cap. There is a whodunnitorwhatnot sensor in there. It's small but will make your truck not start sputter or anything. Takes 5 minutes to change. Fairly common problem. I have changed it on 2 trucks and they fired right up both times. I hope this helps someone out there.

Camshaft position sensor is under the distributor cap.