Starting and Acceleration Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright yall i have a weird on here. First let me start with a little history of the truck. Bought a 1996 GMC Sierra V6 Vortec 4.3 liter stepside as a father/son project about a week ago. When i first purchased the truck, threw a battery in and the truck fired right on up after 2 years of sitting. Took it home, changed the oil, did a coolant flush, topped off other fluids, and checked the brakes. All were fine. Drove it around the block( country block) for 2 days and had no issues. Ran fine and was just shaking down the vehicle. So on the 2nd day went to try and put it reverse while the truck was running and could not take it out of park. After messing with it for a few seconds i just turned the truck off and was able to shift the gears again, put in park and tried to turn the truck on but it wouldnt start. Its like it would turn over but wouldnt start. Felt like it wasnt getting fuel. So i go to the fuel filter along the frame rail and disconnect the line and fuel was passing through. Then go to the intake manifold, find the fuel inlet tube, put a rubber hose to it, and put to a jar to catch any fuel that will come out when cranking the engine. So i tell my son to crank the engine and a stream of gas came out. Pump seems to be strong but then the weirdest damn thing happened. The damn engine turned on. Ran perfectly fine. Reconnected the gas line, put the breather back on and it ran fine. No issues at all. After turning if off and on a few times no problem, but on the 5th try if wouldnt start again. Went through this 4 different times and each time it was the same exact thing. It would start after disconnecting the fuel inlet tube, letting a little gas run out, put back together, and crank it up. Then would not start again after five starts. So rented a fuel pressure tester and at first was getting 60 psi but then the truck started acting erratic during idle which made the fuel pressure rise and lower so i figured well damn the pump must be going bad. So replaced the pump, worked really well for like 15 minutes and the problem came back. Now i know it can also be the fuel pressure regulator or injectors causing this issue if there is a leak in the manifold but i cant tell from the fuel pressure test cause of all the fuel psi fluctuating. I have a scanner that i purchased and i should get it today, dont feel like throwing money at it just replacing stuff. Also check engine light wasnt on before i put the new pump in but now it is. The gas doesnt look bad at all and has pit a new fuel filter and fuel strainer at the pump. Also looked down into the tank and there was no debris in it. Was really surprised abiut that. I just find it really strange that truck starts when you disconnect the fuel line and runs fine for a little while but wont start up after turning off the truck a few times. But now its also having acceleration issues like it bogs down sometimes and will barely make it down the block and then 3 minutes later it idles perfectly fine and runs great. Really confused here. Anyones help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you mentioned acceleration on the title, does it bog down when you accelerate?

The fuel pressure fluctuating definitely does not seem right. Maybe loose wire on the pump side? FP relay not making good contact? You are going to have to look at fuel trims to help you diagnose this most likely. What code are you getting?

What fuel line are you disconnecting BTW? My 4.3 and 5.7 have hard lines going into the intake...Are you able to pry and bend those out of the intake?

Last edited:

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you mentioned acceleration on the title, does it bog down when you accelerate?

The fuel pressure fluctuating definitely does not seem right. Maybe loose wire on the pump side? FP relay not making good contact? You are going to have to look at fuel trims to help you diagnose this most likely. What code are you getting?

What fuel line are you disconnecting BTW? My 4.3 and 5.7 have hard lines going into the intake...Are you able to pry and bend those out of the intake?
Yes im putting the hose to the metal fuel line going into the intake. Yes sometimes it bogs down and sometimes it works like it should. The wiring to the pumps looks good, will check again with a volt meter to see if im getting good contact. Havent checked the relay, will do that tonight. Havent hooked up a scanner yet. Get that today. Im new to all this fuel injection stuff so what do you mean by fuel trims?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes im putting the hose to the metal fuel line going into the intake. Yes sometimes it bogs down and sometimes it works like it should. The wiring to the pumps looks good, will check again with a volt meter to see if im getting good contact. Havent checked the relay, will do that tonight. Havent hooked up a scanner yet. Get that today. Im new to all this fuel injection stuff so what do you mean by fuel trims?

Fuel trims are basically an indication of how much the ECU "adds" or "cuts" fuel to the engine, based on parameters from other sensors. Usually over 15% and the CEL light comes on. Fuel delivery and the vacuum problems that are often difficult to locate, can often be diagnosed by simply looking at fuel trims; don't even have to pop your hood open, LOL. You should watch a few videos. YT is your friend. If you understand this concept, your diagnostics skills will improve a lot. I mean, A LOT!

Here's a good video and the guy even shows how to do an injector balance test:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's another, more technical video that explains the theory:

Both great channels BTW.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you replace fuel filter? Check the relay socket-see if it's melted plastic. Also pigtail to the fuel pump can get funny overtime.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I had/have problems with mine where I suspect lack of fuel I press the pintle on the test port on the fuel line. If there's fuel it spurts, when there isn't it doesn't. I suggest you try that when it quits, bogs etc. Quick way to see if it was fuel starved (or not) moments earlier.
Just be careful to leave it a few minutes before trying to start it again as the fuel can end up next to the distributor and if inside the cap ...

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had/have problems with mine where I suspect lack of fuel I press the pintle on the test port on the fuel line. If there's fuel it spurts, when there isn't it doesn't. I suggest you try that when it quits, bogs etc. Quick way to see if it was fuel starved (or not) moments earlier.
Just be careful to leave it a few minutes before trying to start it again as the fuel can end up next to the distributor and if inside the cap ...
I checked that and seems to have adequate fuel pressure( squirts out) , although i havent tried it after the truck bogs down. Will try that also.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked that and seems to have adequate fuel pressure( squirts out) , although i havent tried it after the truck bogs down. Will try that also.

It's a snapshot of when it's sick you need. My method is quick enough to catch fuel pressure before it can decay.
Just watch the fire risk (swaddle it with a rag first).

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel trims are basically an indication of how much the ECU "adds" or "cuts" fuel to the engine, based on parameters from other sensors. Usually over 15% and the CEL light comes on. Fuel delivery and the vacuum problems that are often difficult to locate, can often be diagnosed by simply looking at fuel trims; don't even have to pop your hood open, LOL. You should watch a few videos. YT is your friend. If you understand this concept, your diagnostics skills will improve a lot. I mean, A LOT!

Here's a good video and the guy even shows how to do an injector balance test:

Here's another, more technical video that explains the theory:

Both great channels BTW.
Now i have an idea. Thanks