1998 k1500 starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carnut3358

Reaction score
Hello I have a 1998 k1500 with a 5.7 in it. I did a tune up on it and the truck sounded great. I drove it for about 30 minutes and the truck stalled out like it was out of gas. I checked and the fuel pump is working as it should. I checked the timing chain and it was also fine. The truck will turn over but just won't start. I was wondering what else it could be. I was told it might be the camshaft so I was just wondering is there a way I can test it to see if it is actually the cam shaft or not. The truck was running great before it stalled out. Any help or tips on what I should try would be appreciate.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with the basics, then go to more complex.
This happened after a tuneup? Go back recheck , everything you touched or changed.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Lets start simple. It was running fine 30 mins ago, probably nothing internal to worry about. And yea, how did you check the timing chain? Did you actually pull off all of the accessories and timing cover?

Check fuel pressure (not just check if the pump is running) and check spark first man. Start simple and work your way up the complexity ladder. Its a 1998 so first thing is to plug in a data logger scan tool (not just the code reader a parts store lends you).

Whoever is telling you its the camshaft, please stop listening to that person. Cams don't 'go bad' after 30 mins. A timing chain could break but its gotten very rare with anything newer than OEM 1960's engines.