Starter Solenoid Battery Cable Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001ZR2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going on errand to pick up meat for the freezer since we had a side of beef and half hog waiting we took the Suburban. Made a quick stop to grab a drink for the wife and the truck wouldn't start.

Seen this before so after some detailed explanations to my son was able to tighten the nut on the starter solenoid and she started.

I haven't seen an issue like this before but this is first time it's happened since I tightened the nut until the post pulled out of the unit on the old one.

Any thoughts why I am having this issue? or a fix as I tried the tighten it until breaks and backing off a quarter turn torquing procedure.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The solenoid post should have a jam-nut that keeps the post tight. Then the cable is attached with a second nut.

Solenoid repair kits used to be available. Maybe still are.

Make sure the cable isn't tightened in such a way that pulling on the cable when the engine torques-over on the rubber mounts, tends to loosen the nut.