Starter Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The plunger as you call it , is the iron piece that is pulled by the magnetic coil pivoting the Bendix to engage the starter. It is not replaced usually.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first step in the Unit Repair Manual, do not disassemble the solenoid.
On the gear reduction starter you replace the solenoid as a unit, that means it not repairable.
And that's out of the 95 Unit Repair Manual section 6D , covers all 4 starters.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, the solenoid is replaced as One complete unit. See item # 19 replaced not repaired. It contains the plunger with tab to attach to Bendix arm.
You must be registered for see images attach

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The NAPA I linked is not a complete unit, but you are correct that most of the gear reduction starters and their solenoids are not intended to be serviced. Instead the starter and solenoid are to be replaced as a unit. but I have serviced the gear reduction solenoids successfully in the past. apparently not this time though.......

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not what I said. The solenoid is not considered a repair item, GM says to replace them if needed. You can repair or replace the starter. Motor and or gear drive.
This is a complete solenoid if that's all you need. With plunger contained. See the blue ring and tab. If you don't you may be colorblind. See item number 19 on diagram.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230506-201249.png
    Screenshot_20230506-201249.png
    541 KB · Views: 5

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not what I said. The solenoid is not considered a repair item, GM says to replace them if needed. You can repair or replace the starter. Motor and or gear drive.
This is a complete solenoid if that's all you need. With plunger contained. See the blue ring and tab. If you don't you may be colorblind. See item number 19 on diagram.

But son, the plungers do come in other colors.........

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I've ever done with gear-reduction "mini" starters is to remove the three screws, and spin the solenoid 1/3 turn, and put the screws back in. That made for easier vehicle cable connections on the front of the solenoid.

And THAT was only on the PG260 version of the starter, GM has multiple kinds of "mini" starters that fit the V-8s.
You must be registered for see images attach