Starter Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
96 G1500, 5.0

How do you remove the plunger from the starter solenoid? This makes me fell stupid becuase I know I've done it before on my 96 K1500 and 02 G1500, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this one out.
Does the starter solenoid have bolts or screws that hold the cap on? That may help take it apart. Been a while since I took one apart but I know it can be done.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Screws or bolts, turn 90 ° . Just like in the service manual. It would help if you had it.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Screws or bolts, turn 90 ° . Just like in the service manual. It would help if you had it.
In hindsight, my question wasn't concise enough....

How do you remove the plunger from the solenoid? The solenoid is already off the starter.

And tbe service manual doesn't address removing the plumger from the solenoid..........

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the starter solenoid have bolts or screws that hold the cap on? That may help take it apart. Been a while since I took one apart but I know it can be done.
No bolts or screws on the solenoid. The plastic face where the studs are is crimped in. The pllunger side does not appear to have any kind of keeper to hold the plunger in.
The new ones come without the plumger. Here's an example:
I beleive what is on this van is one of the magnet reduction mini-starters--but I can't remember because it's been so long since I replaced it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Surely one of the over 44,000 members on here, has a spare or used solenoid they can attempt to take apart? If I was at my building I prolly have one or two....
Edit: maybe I'm thinking about the older style. I know you could take them apart....

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Surely one of the over 44,000 members on here, has a spare or used solenoid they can attempt to take apart? If I was at my building I prolly have one or two....
Edit: maybe I'm thinking about the older style. I know you could take them apart....
I always ask the hard questions. Maybe it's the boring questions.......

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have about 6 or 8 of them laying around and I have no problem with posting pictures but Im not quite sure what he is after.
On an old direct drive starter the plunger is not part of the solenoid.
The plunger sits inside the upper nose cone of the starter and is connected through pivot forks to the bendix gear bearing.
The only way to remove the plunger is to pull the starter apart and take the nose cone off and pull the pivot pin out of the housing.
Its really easy to do but Im just not sure what he is trying to do or what starter he has.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 G1500, 5.0

How do you remove the plunger from the starter solenoid? This makes me fell stupid becuase I know I've done it before on my 96 K1500 and 02 G1500, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this one out.
Post a picture of your starter.
If you have an old type direct drive starter.
I will lay out the whole dissasembly rebuild process like a crime scene.
I have about 6 or 8 or maybe 12 of them laying around.
If its a gear drive
I dont know **** about them.
Let me know which starter you have.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a gear reduction starter.
Here's an example:
On my GM turcks the solenoid is attached wtih three external torx screws to the starter and the plunger stays in the solenoid when removing the solenoid from the starter.

Here's a solenoid with the plunger in it:

Here's a solenoid without the plunger (which is how they are usually packaged):

I'm beginning to think my old solenoid's plunger was never intended to be removed. The starter is an early gear reduction starter.