starter problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glenn57

Reaction score
I have a 91' Chevy K-1500 regular cab, stepside.evrytime i go to crank it, the starter keeps spinning, and i have to wait till it stops spinning to try it again. I was wondering if I need a new starter, or just another starter solenoid.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every time?
Does it ever grind?
Most likely the starter, sounds like the gear isn't being thrown out far enough. If you decide to replace it be sure to have it tested first. You can do it in the yard with jumper cables too, it most likely will just spin without the gear moving forward.

If you notice it grind occasionally, or it doesn't spin like that all the time you may have teeth missing on the flywheel. Try to turn engine over by hand about 90 degrees and see if that makes a difference. If it does then remove flywheel cover and inspect teeth.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Sounds like the solenoid is bad and its time for a new starter.

If the solenoid is weak or damaged, it may not be strong enough to overcome the spring tension that retracts the drive gear. So the starter spins but doesn't crank the engine.

Sent from a Duramax powered iPhone.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
does it turn over ? I think i know what you mean you turn it over and it doesn't start so when you let off the key the starter doesn't stop right away and when you go to turn the key again it grinds. If thats it its not a big deal lots of starters do that

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are there teeth missing off the flywheel and it's not turning the engine?

glenn57

Reaction score
it turns the engine over, after it stops spinning, and you give it a little gas when you hit the key

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
read my above post then should be no big deal

glenn57

Reaction score
i think im gonna get it tested, and see what it says, and i might just replace the starter, and solenoid, to be safe