Starter going out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacoblara91

Reaction score
So my problem started 3 days ago when I turned the key in the ignition the truck just made a loud buzzing noise, not the starter scratching but a loud electrical noise. I turned the key back and tried again and it started right up, the same thing happened yesterday, and again this morning, but when I turned it the seconday time it just made a single click then nothing, the third try it started up but there was a cracking from the exhaust I'm assuming from back pressure cause I could smell a lot of gasoline. But if anyone could help diagnose why it won't turn over properly that'd be great, the only thing I can think of is that my starter might be going out.
-1991 c1500 5.7

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
On a non crank issue, the first thing to check are the electrical connections. Make sure the wires to the starter solenoid are both clean and tight and also the battery connections.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second the battery connection check. My 90 Sierra 5.7l has done this a few times over the years even with a new battery. Cleaning the cable connections solved the issue. Last time there was only a small amount of crap on the connections. I didn't think it would make a difference but it did.