Stand alone trans controller vs 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevo95k

Reaction score
What would be the best (easiest) match for my zz383. 700r4? or 4l60e with a stand alone controller?

ps. I'm using holley terminator efi

Any opinions on TCI transmissions?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you intend to drive it like you stole it, I would recommend you get yourself a 4L80-E with a standalone controller. Yes, you could use a 700r4 or a 4L60-E, however with spirited use, it will likely be the weak link, unless you also have a 10 bolt diff.

Is this going in a 2wd or 4wd? If it's a 4wd, you need to change the input of the transfer case if you intend to re-use yours ( assuming swap to the 4L80-E ) or get another transfer case with the right input to match the 4L80.

Stock, a 4L80-E is stronger than the 4L60E, even if you spend a fair amount on good parts for it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest? The 700R4 would require a lot less wiring, as you'd only need to handle the TCC lockup wiring. You'd have to be sure that Holley throttle body of yours has a spot for the throttle valve (TV) cable to connect and that it has the proper geometry on the throttle crank arm to operate a 700R4. Just being able to attach it doesn't guarantee it pulls the cable correctly throughout the range of opening - ask Holley tech support.

If you can't pull the cable properly the trans won't act right; if you don't adjust it properly (too loose is the real issue) you will smoke that transmission in a hurry.

Richard

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be the best (easiest) match for my zz383. 700r4? or 4l60e with a stand alone controller?

ps. I'm using holley terminator efi

Any opinions on TCI transmissions?
I'd like to know how that terminator efi works out for ya. I'm wanting to run that with a 383 aswell. I'd want to get away from the 700r4 and go with a stand alone and 60e or 80e.. More $$$ tho.

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Painless Performance stand alone controller (#66501) yesterday, don't have it though. It will be used with a ZZ4 with some upgrades, EFI and a 4l60e.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
for a performance choice a 60e is really a poor choice i think, 700s are in fact cheaper and the exact same. better than all that as i suggested and did others would be an 80e, a properly built 80e will withstand whatever you decide to throw at it for quite some time while your friend keeps dropping his trans every other weekend to pay to have it fixed