95 k1500 transmission stand alone year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mach11teen

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'll try to make this brief. I have a 1995 k 1500 standard cab long bed and my transmission went out. So I bought one from the junkyard but it's out of a '97 k1500 extended cad short bed. what happens if I put hook it up to my 350 what could be the possible problems or could it be possible to just switch all the inners out let me know what my easiest option is thank you in advance for your help guys. Also would I just be better off going to the scrap yard and getting the transmission controller computer brain whatever you want to call it out of the 97.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_114212_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_114212_Facebook.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'll try to make this brief. I have a 1995 k 1500 standard cab long bed and my transmission went out. So I bought one from the junkyard but it's out of a '97 k1500 extended cad short bed. what happens if I put hook it up to my 350 what could be the possible problems or could it be possible to just switch all the inners out let me know what my easiest option is thank you in advance for your help guys. Also would I just be better off going to the scrap yard and getting the transmission controller computer brain whatever you want to call it out of the 97.
95 was a stand alone year from a command and control perspective, primarily owing to the fact PWM TCC apply strategy was introduced that year then significantly redesigned for 96+. So you may be able to see if someone with HP Tuners can reprogram your ECM's transmission shift strategy tables with the 96-97 shift strategies used.

Or

Rebuild your '95. By the time you swap out the 97 unit's pump, valve body, separator plate, 3-2 solenoid and harness you're literally a couple more hours away from just tearing down the whole unit and rebuilding it properly. So instead of going through the trouble with the 97 unit, overhaul your original trans.

You'll likely be pulling the junk yard unit out before long anyway, even if it was directly compatible with your truck without any mods or reprogramming.

ETA - the 97 ecm would require a lot of reprogramming as it was desigmed to control the 96+ vortec sbcs using the OBD2 engine mgmt standard, prob isnt as straight forward.

Last edited:

Mach11teen

Reaction score
95 was a stand alone year from a command and control perspective, primarily owing to the fact PWM TCC apply strategy was introduced that year then significantly redesigned for 96+. So you may be able to see if someone with HP Tuners can reprogram your ECM's transmission shift strategy tables with the 96-97 shift strategies used.

Or

Rebuild your '95. By the time you swap out the 97 unit's pump, valve body, separator plate, 3-2 solenoid and harness you're literally a couple more hours away from just tearing down the whole unit and rebuilding it properly. So instead of going through the trouble with the 97 unit, overhaul your original trans.

You'll likely be pulling the junk yard unit out before long anyway, even if it was directly compatible with your truck without any mods or reprogramming.

ETA - the 97 ecm would require a lot of reprogramming as it was desigmed to control the 96+ vortec sbcs using the OBD2 engine mgmt standard, prob isnt as straight forward.
Thank you sir. Only problem I face is a budget of 100 dollars. Rebuilding a transmission is also slightly above my pay grade. The junkyard one doesn't have to be a permanent fix it's just got to get me home from Missouri back to Arkansas and maybe around town for a week at the most.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir. Only problem I face is a budget of 100 dollars. Rebuilding a transmission is also slightly above my pay grade. The junkyard one doesn't have to be a permanent fix it's just got to get me home from Missouri back to Arkansas and maybe around town for a week at the most.
Given that, remove the pan on the 97 unit, swap the 3-2 control solenoid from the 97's valve body with the 3-2 solenoid from your 95 unit's valve body so that your vehicle's ecm isnt seeing incorrect resistance values for that solenoid and throw it into limp mode. Use a small flat blade screw driver to remove the little retainer clip holding the solenoid in place.

Then, put in a new filter, install it, fill it up with fluid and try to drive it...let us know what happens.