Stand alone trans controller vs 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A stock 700R4/4L60/4L60E isn't up to the job, sure. A properly built one can take a lot of abuse. Just depends on where you want to spend your money and what level of work you want to do personally. 4L80E is a tough transmission for sure but requires the controller, wiring, driveshaft work, etc. and also takes a little more power to spin so it'll eat up some of the power you gain with your engine mods.

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a 4L60E without core and built to handle 600hp for like 2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevo95k

Reaction score
very nice. I will be watching to see how all that works out for ya. what efi you get? Happy new year

stevo95k

Reaction score
Seems as though the consensus is to go with the 80e. What driveshaft mods will be required? Shortened?

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems as though the consensus is to go with the 80e. What driveshaft mods will be required? Shortened?
How hard are your going to hammer on it? I'm Not putting down the 80e approach by any means but I'm with polar on building 60e with better internals/upgrades and it'll be a direct swap.

With that being said I'm curious what all is involved with a 4l80e swap.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mount has to be moved forward. If you know what your end goals are with the truck and it's under 600hp non nitrous a built 4l60e/700r4 is the way to go in my opinion. You have the trans case already, you have the correct driveshaft, all you need to order is the rebuild/beef up parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevo95k

Reaction score
Not hard really, kinda like an old man taking his vette out on a sunday afternoon. Oh, and it won't be 4wd anymore, there's really no point. It won't see mud, snow, or rain.

I like TCI's super street fighter 700r4. That should be more than enough.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to get away from the TV cable myself and go electronicaly controlled on my 91 down the road.

But if the 700r4 is built with better/upgraded internals, TV cable adjusted right and a better trans cooler I think you'll be happy.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
700 and 60e are exactly the same minus one being tv controlled and one being electronic, nothing wrong with a 700r4 in fact i like them better, upgrades are the same price but a 700 in general is usually somewhat cheaper than a 60e