Stainless cat back exhaust system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheapHoe

Reaction score
The vehicle is a 95 4 door Tahoe. Somebody previously replaced my factory cat back with some aluminized pipe system that is now rusted through. I'm looking for a stainless single exhaust cat back system. I'm not big on loud exhaust so the more factory sounding the better. I've found a lot of aluminized systems but no stainless. Any help is appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gibson makes some stainless kits, so does Magnaflow.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run the Gibson one on my 95 4 door Yukon. Nice rumble but nothing ridiculously loud. If you don't like the sound the muffler is easy to swap out for something quieter.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my '97, I grabbed the OEM stainless exhaust from a 1994 K1500 salvage yard vehicle. Muffler and tailpipe cost me about $25. I have another $25 in a 2-to-1 adapter. Welded the adapter in place, the OEM mounts on the truck and the earlier single-exhaust lined up just fine.

The '88 got a Magnaflow "universal" 3" tailpipe that seems to be discontinued now. A stainless Magnaflow muffler, and a couple feet of generic stainless pipe. The whole works is band-clamped together. Magnaflow muffler is louder than I'd prefer. I don't have any part numbers handy.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just looked again and I guess Magnaflow no longer makes stainless exhaust kits for the '95 Tahoe... Gibson still does though. They have two different single exit stainless kits. Looks like one is for trucks that have a factory dual inlet muffler and one for single, at least according to the notes on Summit Racing. I'd probably give Gibson a call to confirm that before ordering, though. Here's some links.

Gibson 615558 (Models with stock single inlet muffler):
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gib-615558

Gibson 615552:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gib-615552

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Magnaflow does still make some really nice drop in stainless Y-pipes with converters, though.

CheapHoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the lead. The gibson is PN# 615558 for tbe 4 door Hoes according to one of the websites I found it listed at. It's basically $500 which is almost as much as I gave for the truck. So I will check the junkyard first. The aluminized pipe just doesn't last here.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could use well pipe for the exhaust. Would never rot out!

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very happy with my JBA system. Took a while to get,but far less expensive than others.