Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Well you guy were just whistling Dixie when you said I would see a big difference, a little skeptical at first after my son doing his first. you could see a difference but not a big difference, could be because his is a couple of years newer than mine. So here is the low beam first, then the high bean, the last pic is of the OEM low beam plug on the passenger side. And I did tweak the level of the beams so the passenger is closer to the drivers side.

You must be registered for see images attach

The low beam, left on relay harness, right not.

The high beam, left on relay harness, right not.

This was the OEM plug on the passenger side, my son said it was worse than the driver side.

So :hail::hail::hail: thank you guys, especially you shovebill, for taking the time and patience to convince me it was sorely needed. Again Thank You!!!

Even with the same bulbs you had, you essentially doubled the light output on the road by providing them full vehicle voltage.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
very cool...what bulbs do you have in thar?

and no thanks needed....i thank all YOU for stickin around and making this thread what it is......it's like "lightspeak" at a bar or bbq.....which is how i really enjoy threads.

too bad ya can't keep track of ****....next big thread...or maybe this one i'll have a TABLE of Contents in the beginning to have a "loose" idea of where pertinent info actually is.

is something wrong with the right bulb? the pattern looks a bit odd compared to mine and Dylan's.

The bulbs, for the high beam I have the Phillips brand of 9011 HIR, and for the low beam I have SYLVANIA 9006 SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, They aren't as blue as I expected they might be, which is okay by me.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Nice looking vehicle, but since I have no plans on going off road, at least 'serious' off road driving, I wouldn't want any lights up on the roll bar, or whatever it is called; I don't think I would want to be sitting in light that was created behind me. For me I think it would be messing with whatever night vision I think I have, but that is me and I don't plan on going off road or up those two tracks.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
The bulbs, for the high beam I have the Phillips brand of 9011 HIR, and for the low beam I have SYLVANIA 9006 SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, They aren't as blue as I expected they might be, which is okay by me.

certainly the proper way it should have been done.....i'm glad that i'm seeing folks doing this in a responsible way.....and i'm SO dang happy i did this......now i have to get to a meeting. this Cibie addiction is gonna be an issue if i don't chill out, LOL......."just a few more" yea, just a FEW......LMAO!

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok...i went to hang out with the crazy wife for a bit.....and got some more info on those LMC fogs......

they suck....period.....they're like a cross betwixt a low beam and a weak driving light....lots of upward light, noting a FOG beam should have...and i adjusted them lower than they should be.

my old phone doesn't take good pictures of "wll shots"...and i'm stuck with that because my newest **** phone broke and i won't pay $149 for another under the ****** insurance......FU@K verizon.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Back to lighting and the original topic of this thread. As Id said earlier, I have a set of real Anzo's. They are pretty damn good for Chinesium and the quality wasnt bad, although not quite as "Skookum" ;) as the GM original materials. As Id posted in a previous picture/thread, they are yellowing after several years of regular use in New England. I also have had issues with them at car washes over the years (splash/condensation). I also have an old habit of turning on my lights, regardless of the road conditions/time of day... which may have played into their yellowing as well.

I Most Definately will be switching to Spyders during the rebuild. I plan on buying 2 sets, because they wont make them forever and Id hate to be caught without options when/if I need replacements.

The Anzos are damn good, for a period of time. They definately seem to suffer from the same issue all composites do. I suspect they will degrade far worse than GM originals do because of the materials they are made of. They definately dont have fiberglass-reinforced shells. I also have to wonder about the lenses hazing, both inside and out. Far as I can tell, the GM originals are only UV-damaged on the exterior surface, w/ no heat damage to the interior surface.

Just curious... In regards to the Anzos... I've had both sets of mine for about 4-5 years now and I haven't noticed any yellowing of the plastic. Both of my trucks are garaged every afternoon/evening though. Do you know how many years it took yours to start doing that, roughly?

Also in regards to the car wash issues... I've experienced that as well, but only temporarily on one set of them, and it was 100% my fault. There are little "stickers" on the bottoms of the Anzo housings that cover the drain holes. My dumb ass decided to peel them off on the first set I got for the Suburban. Turns out those are there for a reason, which explains why the adhesive was so strong. They're a really fine mesh, and they're designed to let air in but keep large particles and water out. I'd occasionally notice some condensation in those housings, and once a drop of water actually came in contact with my drivers side low beam bulb in a car wash, exploding the bulb in the housing.

However... I replaced the stickers with some carefully perforated duct tape and never experienced another issue. The Anzos in my red truck that I left the stickers intact on have never shown any signs of water intrusion at all.