Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
This picture looks like you have more room between your positive post than I do, I think I have a 800CCA battery sitting in there. Without measuring the cable that runs across to the drivers side fuse panel it looks like it 'might' be around a 8 gauge wire, maybe 6 but doubt that.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is how much, or should I say lack of space between the battery and the air box, yes I have fat fingers, but not that fat.

Is this the two 30A fuses you were referring to? and was either one of those metric studs what you used for you temporary hook up? I know those two studs are metric, thanks to the young man at my local ACE Hardware store wanting to make sure that the nuts I bought actually fit, after several trips from their bin in back of their store out to my truck.

Edited: Forgot to ask, do those 30A fuses run anything else other than those studs?

yea, those be the ones. i found out about it when my stereo guy told me that's where he wire's the amp up to on these trucks.....and i blew the fuse pullin hose through the fire wall, that's how i found out about em.....i have no idea what else it powers, but it's listed as "AUX" so i doubt anything.

and i have a different air box than you do.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I went back to find page 36 after you mentioned it, I have several digital volt/ohm meters so I don't "need" another probe, BUT, that probe looks very handy and was wondering if you got it on line or local to you?

when i was exploring the Snap-On truck for the first time at my "new to me" at the time job....the guys told me i NEEDED that stab-a-meter, i concurred as i never saw one before....it was like $60 or $80, i don't remember but i do like it.....and i knew i'd be doing lights on a truck again.....i think i saw it online for less.....that link may even be in this thread somewhere.....good luck finding it tho, LOL

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Wow, lot more info in the last few pages to digest. Goodtimes!

Bill, for a minute, you sounded like you were winding down this thread man... had that gut feeling you get knowing that you are nearing the end of the story in a good book or movie... almost went into the millenial rocking-fetal position.... almost.

Also Bill, I got those Cibie 95is in... beautiful shape... Thank You for the info and suggestion again.

Seems the guy has a bunch more, as the same ad went back up on Feepay the other day. They are clean and have none of scuff/wear marks that he warns about in the description. Good buy for relatively short money, although it does suck that they dont include any hardware or accessory wiring, etc, (does come with covers and mounting stud).

That set of NOS GMC KC lights I put an offer on... the guy never responded to me and they apparently sold for better than my offer; I didnt strike hard or fast enough...LOL!

GM P/N 12341840: 2 Lamp Pkg; foglights w/ covers, lexan lens, wiring harness, directions, (switch?)....

Essentially, its a pair of KC 738's, with a GM Spec'd harness and a GM part number. My research tied these to '88-'94 GMT400 C/K trucks, as an accessory O.T.C. part/dealer option.
(FYI, they are discontinued folks.)

If they are like the typical KC 738's, they are not "great" quality & are more of a show than go... BUT, I would also suspect that GM forced KC to do some better-than-normal QC on them because they are an "Official GM Part-Numbered Accessory". Being an actual GM Part puts near-complete liablility upon GM's shoulders for any defects &/or safety problems, so the GM lawyers would have made sure QC was a priority in negotiations..... Not to be confused with "GM-Licensed Parts", which are in no way the same thing... just someone paying GM a royalty fee to put a GM logo on an aftermarket part, with GM setting general requirements for fit, function, & safety of product.

That said, the stock foglight mounting for these trucks was in the front valance, (as seen on the 454 SS). If this was the GM Dealership accessory upgrade over the stock foglights, its kinda strange that these were not made with pendant mountings. You gotta wonder how much thought was put into their actual usefulness in that style of pre-set mounting. I dont recall GM offering a low-mount brushguard for these trucks, but someone may know otherwise. ....As said in other posts, its difficult for foglights to work properly if they are not low enough to the ground & aimed properly.. ie.) see the road/terrain below any fog, snow, rain/drizzle.
"Eh, flip the Foglights upside down & mount in the stock brackets."
Unless you've been intermittently watching **** while reading this thread, you should know that the lenses & reflectors should ideally be designed to specifically cast light directionally, only to where its needed. I dunno if these lenses &/or the reflectors are bi-curious, allowing for the things to simply get flipped or if you can flip the lenses, but Id think GM would've had KC done that before packaging em up, but who knows?. To me anyway, the lens looks very similar to the run-of-the-mill GM foglight lens used on these trucks and other GM vehicles of the 80's/early-90's, but clearly a KC 738. Dunno if the magical difference is on the inside, "Ribbed for Her Pleasure" portion of the lens and the reflector.

Ultimately, the above is about as significant as someone's feet being on the Oval Office Presidential couch, when you compare it to the Oval Cigar Humidor Billy Clinton had on the Oval Office Presidential couch.

Also, Fender Flairs... look cool but an invitation for rot in the rust belt... any kind of body cladding that isnt sealed/bonded to the body panels is a repository for moisture, salt, dirt, and Calcium Chloride.... all very bad mojo on a bad **** looking truck.

hey Al......want to talk about a twist of fate?

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
interesting....THIS IS GREAT.....WATCH THE WHOLE THING

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I like the way this person does his demonstration, maybe I get a set of the last ones he demoed and glue them on somewhere. :badidea:

It's sort of a shame I couldn't do what I did with the 70 GTO I had, I found a pair of Air Craft landing lights, they were the right size so I put them in the high beam. To bad I didn't know about a relay set up back then, I ended up running another wire back to a mechanical switch inside of the vehicle. There was a road that had just the right angle so I could turn those lights on and it would cause the street light to shut off. It was an easy way to entertain myself. But it was a very good way to convince that idiot driver coming against me that wouldn't dim their lights, one quick as I could flash those 'high beams' and they would dim theirs, if not I would light up their face as they went by. I'm sure they couldn't see but I could, and hopefully the couple of idiots decided next time it might be wise to dim their lights. :grd:

Start the Star Wars scroll, but that was a long time ago in what seems like a different life....... :Jedi:

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the YouTube video ended this video was listed as next to play, so I did, although not scientific I found it sort of interesting and it sort of goes along with the previous videos theme.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
When the YouTube video ended this video was listed as next to play, so I did, although not scientific I found it sort of interesting and it sort of goes along with the previous videos theme.

it took me a long time to realize the list on the right is the play list....up next and suck, LOL.......often pertinent videos to the subject matter at hand.