Speedometer/odometer not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6rio

Reaction score
Hey new to the group.
96 gmc c1500 5.7 extended cab
Speedometer and odometer not reading. Wouldn’t start randomly. Turns out there was a short by the starter, so got it fixed. I had replaced the ignition switch before finding the short.
It’s running again but speedometer and odometer isn’t working. Everything else on the cluster is good. Any ideas?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Did the speedo and odometer work before the short repair near starter and ignition switch replacement? You did not say.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The obvious next thing to do is to check your work. If ignition switch was replaced first, how much time in between when the short was fixed? Did speedo and odometer work after the ignition switch and then stopped working after the short fix? These details would help.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey new to the group.
96 gmc c1500 5.7 extended cab
Speedometer and odometer not reading. Wouldn’t start randomly. Turns out there was a short by the starter, so got it fixed. I had replaced the ignition switch before finding the short.
It’s running again but speedometer and odometer isn’t working. Everything else on the cluster is good. Any ideas?

Welcome!

Do the other gauges and dash lights work? I was thinking maybe the plug came out of the instrument cluster or something similar, when you were replacing the ignition switch.