southern_z71_92's 1983 GMC Jimmy build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sucks on the engine. But dropping a freshened up 350 in it sounds like the only way to go.

Sounds like you got a plan. That piston is screwed! Interested in your engine build

Yeah it sucks. But hopefully I can get the comp cams kit that I want instead of going back to oem. I'm hoping.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright well new plan just to get me back on the road relatively fast. My grandpa has looked at the block a good bit more and talked to a good friend of his that used to be an engine builder and they believe that the block that is in thr truck will be fine to reuse the stress cracking shouldnt give any trouble and the plain is level and not warped. So my grandpa is going to replace the one bad piston and change both heads to another set out of his shop. He's going to redo the valves and installed new seals and such in the heads. We'll get them installed and everything put back together so I can have something to drive while I take my time building the motor I want to build for her.

On top of all this I need to get my rear driveshaft lengthened. Need to get full exhaust built off of the longtubes. Really need to regear. Need to fix rust in the rockers. Need to swap back to oem headlights till I can afford some better aftermarket ones. So many things I need and so little money to do them.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda sucks but haven't messed with her since Saturday. Been way to hot here. We hit 109 heat index today and yeterday was in the 103 area heat index. Will prolly mess around with it tomorrow. But idk yet.

That Green Jimmy

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
It's been that hot down here also. About 95ish in the morning and evening. Can't get anything done outside.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well finally dropped the oil plan. Unbolted the rod and pushed it back out the top of the block. Been checking the clock some more to make sure that the cracking isn't going to effect anything too bad. Looking like I'll be in the clear.
You must be registered for see images

Thinking bout going ahead and going with a LS and 4l60e instead of a gen 1 small block. But idk yet.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also going to be swapping in some tbi heads. Checking online and it looks like they could have been on a 89 350. Have a low miles fairly fresh set in the shop.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright well yet another change. Grandpa didn't like the cracks in the block so we are pulling it. He's got a old style 350 that is complete just have to get a crank polished for it and bearings matched to the crank. And getting one new piston for that block because it's gauled up a bit. All in all only going to have maybe 150 in full swap. It may not be the best motor but it's a hell of a lot better than where I'm at now.

And the reason we have to get a crank polished for this block

Not sure if yall can see the ridge or not.

This motor is a made in Mexico motor. Block, heads, pistons everything pretty much. It only has maybe 6k miles on it. It was a gm reman that was purchased, installed, and removed in 2001. But if anybody here knows much about the Mexico reman engines is that they are built well but thrown together with undesired parts. It's been on the shelf since 2001 and finally going back to use.

That Green Jimmy