southern_z71_92's 1983 GMC Jimmy build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulling driver side head tonight. Well trying to one of the manifold bolts broke and is seized to the manifold. Loose from the head though. We are having a time trying to get it loose.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got the mani off. Going to have to replace or fix the valve cover now as it got hit and pryed against. Ran out of light to get the head off so I'll have to wait till tomorrow. Going to pull the head without removing the intake or carb. Ready to figure out what the hell is wrong and has been going on.
You must be registered for see images

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the head of this morning and piston #7 is busted. Also had blown had gasket between cylinder #5 and #7 which was causing my noise. So now to figure out what to do. If block isn't messed up and cylinder wall isn't messed up then I think we are just going to install a new piston and install the vortec heads. But if worst comes to worst the 89 k1500 will be donating her engine.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the block is cracked or starting to Crack between #3 and #5. So now I need a new motor.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so an update from what I've found today. As my previous posts say piston is destroyed and block is cracked. The 89 will not be donating her engine. Using a 86-88 350 2 bolt main block w/ vortec heads, summit vortec intake, and polished crank. Everything else will pretty much be oem spec. If I can scrounge up the cash by the time we get it built I'll be getting a new carb. Either a Holley street demon 1900/1901 or a Edlebrock performer 1406. Hopefully all goes well and I can have her back on the road soon.

That Green Jimmy

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a plan. That piston is screwed! Interested in your engine build

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
That sucks on the engine. But dropping a freshened up 350 in it sounds like the only way to go.