So this is my dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this is my dash in the 88 GMC V6/5 speed/ plain Jane truck I just bought. I would rather have instrumentation than idiot lights. What are my options other than Dakota Digital or a full custom gauge carrier? This is a work truck so I don’t want to spend a ton.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say keep an eye on the local Pull-A-Part, but from what I've seen these dashes get snapped up pretty quickly. I have the full-featured version in my truck, but I had to replace the plastic cover with an ill-fitting cover off a later truck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say keep an eye on the local Pull-A-Part, but from what I've seen these dashes get snapped up pretty quickly.
X2 - the only issue is you don't know if the gauges are all good. The 1st thing that went in my 88's dash was the odometer quit working then, the gas gauge would only show 1/4 tank when full, then the water temp started wigging out. A reconditioned dash was higher priced than the Dakota Digital dash I bought. This was ~5 years ago and IIRC I paid somewhere around $450 for it.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 - the only issue is you don't know if the gauges are all good. The 1st thing that went in my 88's dash was the odometer quit working then, the gas gauge would only show 1/4 tank when full, then the water temp started wigging out. A reconditioned dash was higher priced than the Dakota Digital dash I bought. This was ~5 years ago and IIRC I paid somewhere around $450 for it.
Cheapest I can find a Dakota dash now is right around $800. That just so happens to be what I gave for the truck...

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am gathering the parts to build a cluster using autometer analog-style gauges, the speedo is a GPS type and the other gauges use electric sensors for fuel, oil, temp and oil pressure. The gauges will be mounted on black abs backing using the stock cluster parts, the tach will be mounted separately.