Slack and play in the wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AB90Z

Reaction score
What is the quality of new parts? I changed one upper control arm bushing on a 90 Z-71 @ 280,000 with best stuff at part house along with everything else in the ft end except the rest of Ctrl arm bushings. At 320,000 miles the "NEW" control arm bushing was more worn out than the original bushing. So a 40,000 mile parts store part was more worn than a 320k mile original. Replaced everything in the ft end this time with ALL AC Delco & tightened steering box & now all is tight and well. My dad bought truck new & I have had it 12 years now.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the play stop at the wheel or does it transfer to steering or suspension components? Upper and lower AArm bushings are not missing worn out or loose upper arm bolts loose from a recent alignment?

unbolt the steering drag link turn the wheel to lock or jam the spindle so it won’t move and try to move the wheel and see if the wheel still moves around. If it’s just the wheel moving I say look at the wheel bearings. Could be misadjusted or worn out bearings/races.

long_bed

Reaction score
I flushed out the old (likely never changed) power steering fluid in my rig last week. It sounds crazy, but it feels like there's a little less slack in the steering. Otherwise, check ball joints & wheel bearings. Cost me about 12 bucks and about less than 15 minute job.