Skylark's dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Some things that I want/need and I'm looking for the best quality. The gaskets for the cab lights, third brake light gaskets, inner and outer door felts and window channels. I bet that LMC has it but I don't know if there is better quality to be had.

Classic Parts in KC sells Precision branded weatherstripping for GMT400s, that's my go-to generally.

Front doors on my 'burb have Steele Rubber in them, and I'm disappointed, not enough to change them out, but enough to not buy them again.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got off work tonight at 10pm and came home to my sleeping beauty. I took advantage of the opportunity to go out to the garage and I got the rear doors stripped of the door panels, glass, run channels and weather stripping. I also completely washed all of the painted surfaces.

I didn't pull the door handles and lock rods because I wanted to review the HD handles thread before disturbing something that I don't need to.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running DA's and the like will quickly show you how insufficient a compressor can be. :) And how many water traps you need..

Richard
How very true. Fortunately I have a very nice water and oil separator and I also use filters at the guns.
You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ugh. I asked my kiddo to clean up the paint gun after I disassembled it and roughly flushed it with thinner. I've been throwing it in my HF ultrasonic cleaner with some thinner and blowing it off afterwards and it works great.

My kiddo put the plastic tray in the bottom and poured in acetone instead of thinner. I came back to a white milky mess. The acetone completely melted the plastic tray and it looked like plastic had melted over all of the gun.

I've spent the last two hours buying more acetone because thinner wouldn't touch it and running the gun through about 10 times. I do believe that I saved it but I won't know until the next round of primer.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of you have made comments about Pearl looking good before and wondering why we're painting her. Like me, from a distance with the right lighting we both have a 'rugged" look but a solid 7 (Pearl) quickly drops to a 3 when you see stuff like this.

Pearl is a working truck, not a show piece. I know that she will develop character marks but she deserves a solid effort on our part.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is taking forever but we're slowly getting there. My son had an 8am appointment and he has one tomorrow. Today was working on the roof and filler on the doors when waiting for the compressor. Unfortunately 90% of the doors was done by hand thanks to the compressor.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today isn't going well at all. I kept having problems with my sandpaper plugging up. On the DA it was fine but on the block it was plugging almost immediately especially with coarser grits and it kept leaving an odd surface on the panels. I could knock the surface down with 320 but I still wasn't happy.

My bondo went perfectly and I was happy but when it was guide coat time and my sandpaper was plugging once again with my primer I knew that I was screwed. I took the pictures below to the paint shop and she immediately told me that my primer had failed confirming what I already knew but didn't want to believe.

She looked up when I bought it last and much more time had gone by then what I thought because it was 2014. The catalyst has a typical shelf life of 5 years and we're almost double that.

There are better quality materials since I bought those but I just bought another gallon of primer yesterday. My base is still OK as is my clear. We're probably going to buy the better quality, fresh materials and use yesterday's primer with the old base/clear on the chassis and flatbed.

Unfortunately this means completely stripping what we've already done as well as having to use a stripper on the jambs. So much freaking fun!