Sierra vinyl vs Madrid vinyl, what's the diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winda Liqqer

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a vinyl seat cover and matching sun visors but no one seems to have any solid info on what the differences between Sierra vinyl and Madrid vinyl.

Anybody know in general what years each was used throughout GM's history? The only noticeable piece of vinyl in the truck now is the cluster surround, everything else is pretty smooth. Pretty happy with how the dash turned out after disassembling it and painting everything up.

Looking for a stock appearance.

(1989 K1500 in question)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
From my supplier's descriptions...

Sierra.
A soft expanded vinyl with a smooth, "leather" grain, and a soft touch. This is a practical, durable vinyl with superior strength that is easily cleaned. Good for general purpose use in automotive and residential applications. Used extensively in today's cars & trucks and comes in popular automotive colors.

SPECS:
  • Width: 54" Wide.
  • 30 oz. Weight Per Linear Yard.
  • Cold Crack -20* F.
  • UV Rating: Passes 650 Hours
  • Mildew Resistant
  • Meets Flammability Requirements: MVSS 302, and Cal. Tech Bulletin 117 Sec. E.
  • Cleaning Instructions: Clean with mild soap and water.

Madrid.
    A soft expanded vinyl with a pebble, "leather" grain, and a soft touch. This is a practical, durable vinyl with superior strength that is easily cleaned. Good for general purpose use in automotive and residential applications. Used extensively in today's cars & trucks and comes in popular automotive colors.

SPECS:
    • Width: 54" Wide.
    • 30 oz. Weight Per Linear Yard.
    • Cold Crack -20* F.
    • UV Rating: Passes 650 Hours
    • Mildew Resistant
    • Meets Flammability Requirements: MVSS 302, and Cal. Tech Bulletin 117 Sec. E.
    • Cleaning Instructions: Clean with mild soap and water.

As far as what was used in which years?
    I've found that Madrid was used a lot in '50's - '90's GMs.
    Sierra starts to appear in the '70's.
    During that overlapping period, GM seems to spec whichever one they felt was suitable, appearance-wise, in their various makes & models.
    The differences between the two are pretty subtle.
    They both have the same performance characteristics.

I can't remember exactly what was used in these trucks. Not something I've taken notes on so as to jolt the old-fart memory.
    Usually when matching vinyls for repairs, I've just ordered whatever is in the vehicle that matched up with my sample swatches.
    When doing a total recover, the choice of vinyl is left up to the customer.

• Best bet is to ask the supplier for a sample of each. Usually that's a 2"x2" square. Choose whatever you feel is suitable.
  • If the supplier that has the covers can't supply samples, for $.60/ea., you can get them here...
    https://www.yourautotrim.com/info.html