Shortchevy c1500 Sport build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yep, just like that.

Wheel hop is caused by not having working shocks, or having none at all. A shock keeps your wheels planted during take off, all vehicles have some wheel hop, even if not noticeable(too small to realize/tire doesn't leave ground), wheel hop is caused because tire stretches then tries to contract back, when the rubber contracts, it pulls the tread towards the rim, causing loss of weight on the ground. Without shocks, the suspension flexes too quickly allowing axle to go towards frame, combined with loss of traction caused by tire flex, the wheels "jump" up. It's kind of difficult to explain exactly how it works, but it usually means your shocks aren't doing their job. It's very noticeable when starting up a hill made of concrete sections, the tires will hop at every bump or inconsistency(like where the sections join). It's also noticeable if you go to take off at an intersection that has some loose gravel on top of the asphalt or concrete roadway. If keeping stock locations, then the lower you go, the tighter the shocks ya gotta run, because the more horizontal the shock become, the more leverage your axle has over it, so the more the shock has to work to keep your axle under control. One reason why lift/lowering blocks aren't recommended, the block is giving the axle more leverage over the springs, which makes axle wrap more noticeable. If you keep the stock shock locations, get some shocks that are harder riding. To dial it in, will require alot of work and alot of trips to the auto parts store to exchange shocks till you get the ride and control you're looking for.

If you're not getting actual axle wrap, I wouldn't add another load leaf in. I would get some shocks that can better control your wheel hop.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, just like that.

Wheel hop is caused by not having working shocks, or having none at all. A shock keeps your wheels planted during take off, all vehicles have some wheel hop, even if not noticeable(too small to realize/tire doesn't leave ground), wheel hop is caused because tire stretches then tries to contract back, when the rubber contracts, it pulls the tread towards the rim, causing loss of weight on the ground. Without shocks, the suspension flexes too quickly allowing axle to go towards frame, combined with loss of traction caused by tire flex, the wheels "jump" up. It's kind of difficult to explain exactly how it works, but it usually means your shocks aren't doing their job. It's very noticeable when starting up a hill made of concrete sections, the tires will hop at every bump or inconsistency(like where the sections join). It's also noticeable if you go to take off at an intersection that has some loose gravel on top of the asphalt or concrete roadway. If keeping stock locations, then the lower you go, the tighter the shocks ya gotta run, because the more horizontal the shock become, the more leverage your axle has over it, so the more the shock has to work to keep your axle under control. One reason why lift/lowering blocks aren't recommended, the block is giving the axle more leverage over the springs, which makes axle wrap more noticeable. If you keep the stock shock locations, get some shocks that are harder riding. To dial it in, will require alot of work and alot of trips to the auto parts store to exchange shocks till you get the ride and control you're looking for.

If you're not getting actual axle wrap, I wouldn't add another load leaf in. I would get some shocks that can better control your wheel hop.

WHAT IF.... I put my leaf back in that I took out and lower it with drop hangers.... my dad gave me some drop blocks, the wedged kind to adjust pinion angle... I dont really like blocks in the lift or drop kind so those prolly wont go in...

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you're not getting axle wrap, then you shouldn't have to put your leaf back in unless putting the hangers in with your current 3-pack leaf setup will lower you too far. The hangers will bring your pinion angle upwards(front of diff will come up farther than rear of diff), so if your pinion angle gets worse, then using tapered 1/2" lowering blocks(or the smallest you can find, we're only needing them for pinion angle adjustment)will allow you to correct your pinion angle. In the case of these blocks, I would recommend measuring what angle you need, then having the blocks cut out of bar stock steel(or an old section of heavy duty load leaf works well also)and then having the 2 pieces ground down so where the angle is what is needed.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're not getting axle wrap, then you shouldn't have to put your leaf back in unless putting the hangers in with your current 3-pack leaf setup will lower you too far. The hangers will bring your pinion angle upwards(front of diff will come up farther than rear of diff), so if your pinion angle gets worse, then using tapered 1/2" lowering blocks(or the smallest you can find, we're only needing them for pinion angle adjustment)will allow you to correct your pinion angle. In the case of these blocks, I would recommend measuring what angle you need, then having the blocks cut out of bar stock steel(or an old section of heavy duty load leaf works well also)and then having the 2 pieces ground down so where the angle is what is needed.

when I get my 8in notch Im going to move the shocks... I think my whole problem is that my shocks are too laid out so im going to try that. Ill leave the stock shackles and hangers for now. if moving the shocks doesnt help then Ill put the leaf back in and do hangers... actually after riding it for a week now (including a nice 100mi each way beatdown to a car show) the bonce is a LOT less, everything must have settle.... so well see... I do have to get some leaf spring clamps and put those on so the load leaf doesnt spin...

but progress is being made! It would be nice if some of you guys were up here, its a lot easier to show someone something than it is to type it... but there are very few lowered truck up here... I prolly see 3 each year... and all those guys just pay to have there stuff done. Im very proud that im doing all the work on my Sled... O I pick up a little something at the carshow/swapmeet on sunday. it didnt come with any hardware but it wasnt hard for me to make some up... heres some pix...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good, now be like me and go get it powder coated black!!! And I'll be like you and slam my truck to the ground. LOL

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good, now be like me and go get it powder coated black!!! And I'll be like you and slam my truck to the ground. LOL

Ha yeah I was actually thinking about black... do you have a picture?

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what? i have been wanting to black out my lights

it must have been Draggin, he told me to get a billet grill and I told him that I didnt want billet on my truck... hehe. blacked out lights would look good on your truck... I miss a black truck...