Shifter Cable gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Risingdead400

Reaction score
Anyone know of any tutorials? Longtime lurker first time poster haha. Drove home yesterday and everything seemed fine until this morning when I got in my Hoe to go to work. Tried to shifted into reverse and nothing. I immediately tried to put it in drive and all other gears and nothing worked so I am pretty much guessing that is the problem. Any help would be awesome thx

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hop under the truck and see if the shifter on the transmission moves while you move the shifter. That will tell you.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Anyone know of any tutorials? Longtime lurker first time poster haha. Drove home yesterday and everything seemed fine until this morning when I got in my Hoe to go to work. Tried to shifted into reverse and nothing. I immediately tried to put it in drive and all other gears and nothing worked so I am pretty much guessing that is the problem. Any help would be awesome thx

is it a 95-98? i have replaced one before you have to pull the drivers side seat out and pull the carpet up and you need to take the bottom dash panel off and the plate behind t and unclip it from the column it should only be like a hour job tops

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I would do like Rhino suggested and check to make sure. It just doesn't seem like the cable would fall off overnight.

Risingdead400

Reaction score
I will check all of that out. I appreciate the feedback. I havne't been in town for the past week due to training with my job so I haven't had the chance to really look at it.

Risingdead400

Reaction score
Well I finally got a chance to take a look at it and saw that the cable had come off of the shift linkage on the side of the transmission. I engineered a temporary fix for time being while I try to fine a new connector for the end of the cable. Drove it around the lot here at work and now the rear end is locking up when turning. Like it has a welded diff. It has never done that before am I going to have to tear into this rear end and replace some spider gears?

Gator101

Reaction score
Wow, I had a similar fate with my Hoe almost 3 years ago. Mine started with my locker locked up in the rear end then broke. Axles came out luckily in my yard. Well I got another rear end and installed it then found that my transfer case locked up. Rebuilt the transfer case only to fine out the the transmission was also dead. So I hope the same thing doesn't have the same fate. Good luck

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have a awesome fix for this... I'll have to take a few pics and show you how to do it. They are bad about wearing out and unsnapping at the transmission. They don't sell just the ends, so I will show you how we have been fixing them.

l<yle

Reaction score
... They are bad about wearing out and unsnapping at the transmission. ...so I will show you how we have been fixing them.

rhino, i would love to get a lil info on how you guys are remedying this condition. before i just hit er w a zip tie...

-k

Green1998

Reaction score
We have a awesome fix for this... I'll have to take a few pics and show you how to do it. They are bad about wearing out and unsnapping at the transmission. They don't sell just the ends, so I will show you how we have been fixing them.
Hi Rhino, I came across your post while looking for a remedy to a problem. I have a 98 GMC sierra C1500 5.7L 4L60E transmission.
Where the shifter cable connects to the shifter arm on the transmission the end of the cable doesn’t stay in place on the ball of the transmission shifter arm. It looks like place
(Hole) into which the ball fits at the end of the cable has worn out or just cracked due to being brittle. In the post above it seems you were referring to a fix you have come up with to remedy this problem rather than replacing the cable. I could replace the cable but it sounds like you
have devised a method that’s easier, cheaper as well as reliable. I’d love it if you would share that with me. Thanks, John.