Setting the distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and it's running and sounding pretty good at 600 rpm and 12° before tdc

Like @DerekTheGreat said it should be set to zero, unless you're talking about with the EST wire connected then it's not advanced enough, IMO (mine likes to idle at 18* advanced). That should be adjusted in the tune because the ECM doesn't know where it is, it thinks it's starting at TDC.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I manually turned the engine to tdc with the electronic timing advance disconnected, set the timing to 0 with the distributor, and shut it back off. Then reconnected the electronic timing advance, and this is where it's at now. Can't exactly see the timing mark, so I didn't bother to try and get it in the video. But I just finished my head gaskets and intake gaskets at the same time I made this video last night. So u should be able to understand why i've had such delayed replies.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need an "Advance" Timing light with the knob so you can turn it until the light flashes @ TDC and then look at the scale on the back and it'll tell you how far advanced it is.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MInurcqPf55QIVMR-tBh3O1wm6EAQYASABEgIl9vD_BwE
You mean like the one I have in this picture...yeah, no offense, but i'm not completely "mechanically retarded" like alot of people i've encountered recently. But don't get me wrong, I do appreciate where it's coming from. This is just a reference picture from a couple of weeks ago, before the adjustment, by the way.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just meant it's too far off from the tab. If I advance/retard my light it should come right back down to it. I just haven't had time to get back on it. I just ran a compression test and may have an issue with my #1 cylinder, so that's probably about to occupy at least another week, lol. Starting to think that I should've never bought a motor swapped antique

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally just got around to timing it right. It's purring quite nicely at around 700 rpm somewhere between 16° and 19°. I forget exactly what I landed on because I tried everything from 12°-22°. No knock, no loss of power, no backfire or hesitation. Now it's just begging to be driven, lol. I appreciate all of the input and advice. If it wasn't for all of the help i've received from this forum on 100 different topics, I wouldn't be driving this behemoth right now.