School me on Harmonic Balancers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I need a new one, and the question comes up of aftermarket or stock replacement, but the problem is, I know almost absolutely nothing about the differences in them. I know what their purpose is, but say I go on Summit and look at balancers, I've got no idea what all the options and differences actually effect. What's the best type of balancer, what the different, what the different enternals in them make a difference, or even what difference the diameter is really going to make.

So, send me to school. I'm kind of lost right now. I've realized this is something I really don't know much about.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Right, and that explains what it does, which I know.

Basically, I want a nice looking ballancer, with the nice looking timing marks on it, that will work well with my engine. Stock bottom end except for .030 over pistons, Aluminum fast burn heads, hoping for around 6600 RPM.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Bump, anyone else have anymore input?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
SFI rated just means you will spend more money for it.

It's a racing certification. It costs more just for the testing and the builders pass the cost on to you.

For example: Fluid dampr and ATI are SFI certified. They also have a street dampr line which is not SFI certified.

In reality, you will never encounter the SFI certified conditions on a street vehicle, so the street damper lines are just fine.

And you save some cash too.

Most aftermarket dampers have the timing marks etched into the surface whether they are in contrasting paint of not.

I don't care if it's all black or not because a little wipe of white paint makes them jump out plain as day. How good it looks is a function of how much time you want to spend on it.

Is that the sort of info you're looking for?

:)

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Kind of. I know the whole SFI thing.

I'm more so looking for specifications on the different diameters and the different kinds of internal mechanisms. Which is better, and why?