Scanner Tool To Set The Timing????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chimneyman420

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Blue Driver OBDII Scan Tool will work for Cmp retard on my 98 Silverado c2500 with the 5.7 vortec. I have purchased a couple of cheap elm327 and car gauge pro app and dashcommand with the GM pids but couldn't get the scanner to read the data. It would show -16.1 no matter how I adjusted. So I'm hopeful this Blue driver will. Thanks for any information on this.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Blue Driver OBDII Scan Tool will work for Cmp retard on my 98 Silverado c2500 with the 5.7 vortec. I have purchased a couple of cheap elm327 and car gauge pro app and dashcommand with the GM pids but couldn't get the scanner to read the data. It would show -16.1 no matter how I adjusted. So I'm hopeful this Blue driver will. Thanks for any information on this.

Is your cam sensor plugged in and functioning?

Chimneyman420

Reaction score
Not above 1100, your range is 1000-1200 for setting CMPRET.
Yes I knew that and that's what I did. I have come to the conclusion that it's the dongles/adapters are the problem. I seen where others have used the bafx adapter and have great success. I'm going to try one of those I'll keep you updated when it comes in and let you know if that works

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I ordered this OBD 2 Bluetooth adapter off of amazon Car WIFI OBD 2 OBD2 OBDII Scan... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W0SDLRY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Then downloaded the DashCommand app. I believe it was $9.99 from the App Store on the iPhone. The app will let you read the codes , in order to read live data you have to purchase the PID for your year make and model. It reads just about anything that can be read. I used it when I replaced my distributor to read the CMP.
All together I have around 40$ in a decent enough code reader to take care of any problems on my truck.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
With the dashcommand app when you adjust the distributor I found you have to turn the truck off unplug the reader and reconnect to get the new reading.

Chimneyman420

Reaction score
With the dashcommand app when you adjust the distributor I found you have to turn the truck off unplug the reader and reconnect to get the new reading.
Thank you gonna try that tomorrow I got the bafx and have dashcommand with the pids installing new distributor and gonna set the cam retard while I'm at it

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Thank you gonna try that tomorrow I got the bafx and have dashcommand with the pids installing new distributor and gonna set the cam retard while I'm at it
I had the same problem with it not changing until I realized the reading would change if I shut my truck off, unplugged the adapter & then reconnected to it. I know seems like a lot of steps but I couldn’t complain for the price.

Reaction score
I used an el-cheapo ELM327 module from amazon, and dash command for the android. look for the PID in the program for CMP RETARD, and rev the engine above 1000 RPMS's. that will tell you where you're sitting at. Then adjust as needed.. just rev above 1k after every adjustment so the sensor picks up correctly. took me less than ten minutes to adjust mine in.
What's the odds of gettin it right without the scan tool? I changed my distributor and it runs fine. Jus curious if I should have mine done. Thanks