sbc 400 in a 97 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any proof, but I've heard that the 150100 is actually a rebranded L31 GM block too...I wouldn't have a problem running one of those, although it would be wise to double check the machining, measure bores, check for straightness, etc...a shop shouldn't charge too much just to check it out. I'm just OCD and I don't always trust pre-machined stuff...

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's definitely a remanufactured block.

Is there any difference between the L31 block and the rest of Gen I SBC blocks aside from the 1-piece rear main seal?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's also a factory roller cam block

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah it's an L31 block that's been fluxed/bored/clearanced/etc. Good thing is it's a 4-bolt block....bad thing is it's a 4-bolt block....but I'm not going to start a heated discussion over how 4-bolts have weaker mains on the block side due to extra metal being removed due to being drilled and tapped for the extra 2 bolts. I've always preferred 4-bolts, but boy did I hear it one day when one of those theoretical geniuses came into the shop wanting us to make beefed up 2-bolt caps for a 396 he was having built off an L31 block....I wanted to tell him there was only room for ONE theoretical genius in that shop....and he wasnt it :p

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Tell him to build a 6 bolt LS if is worried about it.