Rust Preventative What Has Everyone Used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i got my 96 sierra stripped to frame and plan on having it blasted. But not to sure what to coat it with afterwards with. Also looking to coat the under side of cab and box with. I dont wanna use undercoat i want something lasting and strong.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Tractor paint from tractor supply. I blasted my frame, then one coat of rust preventative primer, and 3 coats of gloss black tractor paint. The 3rd coat had extra hardener to make it even shinier, turned out better than I expected.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
If you're blasting it, epoxy primer to seal it and regular auto paint will suffice.

As for the paint over rust stuff, I haven't had luck with any of it, and at 100 per gallon, it should really work.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Not sure how much regular auto paint would cost, but for me, not counting the 7 bags of blasting sand I used, I have about $75 into the paint. 1 gallon of gloss black, one quart of primer, hardener, and thinner. I still have a good amount of the black left too. The guy that helped me out has been painting and doing bodywork for years, and he said he painted several horse trailers with this same paint, and they've nibbled on the sides and can't get through the paint, so I think it will stand up to a truck that won't ever see salt, snow, or mud again.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, if anyone is interested, I have a new unopened gallon of semi gloss POR15, what I was originally going to do, was $130 for the gallon. I'd ship it out anywhere in the US for 115, if not, i'll just repost it on ebay. I've heard good reviews as long as it is applied correctly, just can't have flaking chunky rust, and have to apply a couple thin coats, can't just blob it on in 1 thick coat.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Not sure how much regular auto paint would cost, but for me, not counting the 7 bags of blasting sand I used, I have about $75 into the paint. 1 gallon of gloss black, one quart of primer, hardener, and thinner. I still have a good amount of the black left too. The guy that helped me out has been painting and doing bodywork for years, and he said he painted several horse trailers with this same paint, and they've nibbled on the sides and can't get through the paint, so I think it will stand up to a truck that won't ever see salt, snow, or mud again.

By regular paint, I mean, any paint on earth lol. I've never, ever, had any of the magic rust paint do a thing anyway, but starting with clean metal, any paint you can get to stick should work peachy