Roller pilot bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So since I’m pulling and replacing my 4.3 V6 in my 88 2wd 5 speed truck I’m wanting to put a roller pilot bushing in as frankly it’s my go to pilot bushing as they just seem to last longer and be smoother. Anybody have a part number for it? Or can I just use one for a small block?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Terminology would be pilot bearing vs. pilot bushing. I didn't know this, just looked it up a minute ago, but apparently you can't substitute a bushing with a bearing due to different heat treatment on the input shaft. Not 100% sure this holds true with the GM transmissions but regardless, my next point:

IMO the bronze bushing is better anyway; far less delicate than that little cage of roller bearings that can more easily get damaged when you're stabbing the transmission. The bronze bushing is also permanently lubricated (the metal is impregnated with oil.)

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The slide hammers for extracting pilot bushings often don't have deep enough arms to grab pilot bearings. Removing it later may be a pain in the butt. You likely won't notice any difference between a bearing and bushing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to change from bearing to bushing on the Camaro as they can't fail as catastrophically.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why I am not getting notifications from this thread I have no clue. Decision was made for me by way of a Napa LUK clutch kit coming with a bearing