Reverse Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been INCREDIBLY spoiled. I swapped in some very bright LED bulbs in my Crown Vic's large backup light housings. They are honestly brighter than the stock HEADLIGHTS were! When people pull up behind me at a stoplight with their brights on, I flick it into reverse and they dim their lights most of the time. Our trucks have tiny little license plate lights for reverse lights, in my opinion.
One of my favorite mods to all my vehicles is superbright backup lights. My caddy is slightly brighter than my truck as they have a better taillight design, but you know when I am backing up...

Which reminds me I still need to get around to installing the ones for my stepsons car....

You must be registered for see images attach

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no help on the original question but since we're talking reverse lights... I was pleasantly surprised at the extra visibility I got from them after installing these Anzo 211140 tail lights on both of my '97s.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038BBHNM

The reverse light portion of the lens wraps all the way around the bottom instead of the small rectangle in the factory lights, which means if you throw a bright set of LEDs in there you can see your rear corners much better while reversing. I'm sure other people will notice you much easier as well.
Those are the best looking aftermarket design IMHO. Not a fan of the built in LED style and the "altezza" looking ones.

The Blue Ox

Reaction score
Could be the range switch on the left side of the transmission is broken or out of adjustment. Does your gear shift indicator work as it should?
No PRN21 lights up on my gauge cluster!
I’ve tried to get someone to fix my gauge cluster but evidently they don’t supply the stepper motors for them anymore! I’ve seen a switch on the 4l60 tranny that I could have possibly changed but I now have 6l80 trans! The lights were not working before I did the tranny swap either!
Thank you sir for the reply!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
No PRN21 lights up on my gauge cluster!
I’ve tried to get someone to fix my gauge cluster but evidently they don’t supply the stepper motors for them anymore! I’ve seen a switch on the 4l60 tranny that I could have possibly changed but I now have 6l80 trans! The lights were not working before I did the tranny swap either!
Thank you sir for the reply!

6L80? Doesn't that have its own TCM? If it does, chances are you won't get the indicator to work right, as I'm fairly certain those work via either Class2 or GMLAN... But generally when there's a problem with the indicator, either the switch has failed or the fuse supplying the indicators voltage has burned.... That would be fuse 20. But none of that would affect the reverse circuit, as it's powered by fuse 16, and that goes straight to the transmission switch unit.

Queso Del Rio

Reaction score
The Reverse Lights on my '89 Cheyenne wouldn't work when I drug it out of the weeds and started my rebuild. No power to the light green wire at the light sockets. After researching the Spaghetti Monster (wiring) Diagrams, found that they get power from the "Park/Neutral Safety Switch" on the steering column. Whaaaaat? You gotta be freakin' kidding me!! Soaked the switch down with contact cleaner and they work now. I still bought a switch in case I have to do the contorsionist act later.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Reverse Lights on my '89 Cheyenne wouldn't work when I drug it out of the weeds and started my rebuild. No power to the light green wire at the light sockets. After researching the Spaghetti Monster (wiring) Diagrams, found that they get power from the "Park/Neutral Safety Switch" on the steering column. Whaaaaat? You gotta be freakin' kidding me!! Soaked the switch down with contact cleaner and they work now. I still bought a switch in case I have to do the contorsionist act later.
Yep. That switch is adjustable too.
Just be a little carefull when you do it so you dont crack the plastic.
Mine is to the lift the shifter to make em work point.
I just havent done it because getting my 6'4" 240 pound sasquatch ass under the dash takes a week of planning, at least one day of whining and bitching, and a minimum of 6 beers and a couple of shots.
And it aint gonna happen untill I have a fire that burns up the duct tape.
Its doable, just kind of a pain to get at.

Queso Del Rio

Reaction score
Yep. That switch is adjustable too.
Just be a little carefull when you do it so you dont crack the plastic.
Mine is to the lift the shifter to make em work point.
I just havent done it because getting my 6'4" 240 pound sasquatch ass under the dash takes a week of planning, at least one day of whining and bitching, and a minimum of 6 beers and a couple of shots.
And it aint gonna happen untill I have a fire that burns up the duct tape.
Its doable, just kind of a pain to get at.
Yessir...I know it'll disintegrate if I even look at it wrong. I think I'd pull the seat out first, then have a couple more brews/shots after that. I hear the snap, crackle and pop before I put the milk in the Rice Krispies these days!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yessir...I know it'll disintegrate if I even look at it wrong. I think I'd pull the seat out first, then have a couple more brews/shots after that. I hear the snap, crackle and pop before I put the milk in the Rice Krispies these days!
Yes. Its like somebody popping bubble wrap.
And it goes Snap, Crackle, Pop, ************!
But thats our thing brother, that is what we do.
Keep it up.
When I drop, they will have to figure out how the jack works to get me out