Reverse Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know you are going to have a bad day when you pour milk in your cereal and the sound you hear is
PoP, Snackle, CRAP !
Its when you make sure your car keys are in your pocket before you put the socks and boots on.
Just in case you drop them and need to pick em up with your toes rather than bend over

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 5sp manual I had to change the reverse switch at the trans twice under 55k miles. Gave up. By passed it, I now have a lighted toggle on the dash and an extra light under the bumper. So if someone tailgates at night I can blind them in forward. (But that would insight Road Rage you say?)
You must be registered for see images attach
)

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Any gurus out there that know why my reverse lights aren’t working? I’ve changed the housings on the rear, I’m not getting power for the reverse lights. All other lights are working! 96 RCSB!
Hey Blue Ox maybe this will help you out some.

Motor-rick

Reaction score
I had to replace the plug in connector on the neutral safety switch on my 98. The transmission had been replaced about 250 miles before I bought the truck. The tech that did the work jammed it on the switch in such way to destroy the wiring connector and bend the pin in the switch on the transmission. To correct the problem I replaced the plug and neutral safety switch. Lights work great.

ripped53

Reaction score
On my 5sp manual I had to change the reverse switch at the trans twice under 55k miles. Gave up. By passed it, I now have a lighted toggle on the dash and an extra light under the bumper. So if someone tailgates at night I can blind them in forward. (But that would insight Road Rage you say?)
)
Hey I picked up a 1995 C1500 back in January. Slowly getting this beauty back in good shape after sitting for about 7-8 years. Same issue I’ve replaced the reverse switch and the reverse lights still don’t work. You mind sharing how and where you bypassed the switch on the transmission? Curious if you came directly off the inside panel fuse to the toggle switch and just cut out/spliced cables across the switch. Thanks for any help and advise.

Last edited:

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey I picked up a 1995 C1500 back in January. Slowly getting this beauty back in good shape after sitting for about 7-8 years. Same issue I’ve replaced the reverse switch and the reverse lights still don’t work. You mind sharing how and where you bypassed the switch on the transmission? Curious if you came directly off the inside panel fuse to the toggle switch and just cut out/spliced cables across the switch. Thanks for any help and advise.
Did you bench test your reverse switch for continuity? and second you should have a voltage drop at the connector when the key is turned to run/start.

ripped53

Reaction score
Ye
Did you bench test your reverse switch for continuity? and second you should have a voltage drop at the connector when the key is turned to run/start.
I‘ve not personally, but had the circuit inspected and reverse switch/relay replaced on the transmission when the AC compressor was replaced. It’s a 5spd manual and mechanic said there’s continuity from the relay to the reverse lights and the lights come on when voltage is applied. Supposedly the actuator from the transmission isn‘t proper engaging the relay and said I’d have to drop the transmission to properly fix. You’re toggle switch solution seems perfect to me.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ye

I‘ve not personally, but had the circuit inspected and reverse switch/relay replaced on the transmission when the AC compressor was replaced. It’s a 5spd manual and mechanic said there’s continuity from the relay to the reverse lights and the lights come on when voltage is applied. Supposedly the actuator from the transmission isn‘t proper engaging the relay and said I’d have to drop the transmission to properly fix. You’re toggle switch solution seems perfect to me.
A little electrical MacGyvering. Cut and splice into the harness connector that is decoupled from the backup switch (see pic) Drill a wee little hole in the floor plate under the drivers seat and run your two wires into the cab. There you can get creative and run your switch anywhere. I found this simpler to do.

ripped53

Reaction score
A little electrical MacGyvering. Cut and splice into the harness connector that is decoupled from the backup switch (see pic) Drill a wee little hole in the floor plate under the drivers seat and run your two wires into the cab. There you can get creative and run your switch anywhere. I found this simpler to do.
Excellent. I appreciate the suggested solution…going to give it a try putting the switch in the dash.