retrofit projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Ive been searching havent found many good threads on projector retro fits so im curious as to whose done one, post some pics, link to good thread or just some advice like what parts you used. I really want to try doing my own but dont want to halfass it

Last edited:

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do mine for a while. If you shop around and aren't against ebay bulbs and ballasts it can be done cheap. I'd be using my existing Xentec ballasts and DDM relay, with TRS Morimoto minis and ebay 35w 4500k bulbs.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i have HYPER HIDS and ballasts so im good there, but i dont have any of the covers for HIDS so that and when 4hi likes to work my headlights are literally blinding, i kinda wanna see if i can aim the light a little better instead of it going everywhere. whats the DDM relay do? and what are TRS minis? im like really new to this, i dont know how to cut the lense away or how to seal everything and adhere everything and all that so this is literally my learning experience right here.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
The DDM relay is a basic relay that comes from DDM tuning, prewired and fused to use for headlights. It uses the existing headlight wire as a trigger, and pulls power from another power source instead of through the headlight switch and old, puny, factory wire harness. I have mine ran to the under hood fuse/relay center auxiliary power. If your headlights are blinking, it's likely because they aren't getting enough power. The relay should fix that.

TRS is theretrofitsource.com, they sell projectors along with everything else needed. Quality is high, but so are their prices. That's why I like the idea of using the high quality projectors with cheaper bulbs and ballasts. If the bulbs or ballasts go out, they're still dirt cheap to replace assuming they're even out of warranty. You get a top quality beam pattern, while saving money on the stuff that isn't as important; for example the color temp being slightly off or your lights taking more than three seconds to warm up. TRS has a TON of info on their site, they've got several videos up on youtube helping to explain the basic stuff as well as installation.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Ill have to look them up. I havent had issues woth my hids just my 4hi harness i have i took that out so i need to find another way of doing that in the future. Ill definitely check out trs though. And work from there

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I've done it in mine.

It was a while ago so no pics of in progress.

I used some cheap eBay projector housings and gutted the "projector lens" that was in them.

Then I dropper a set of acura TSX projector housings in. Lots of cutting and fitting. Used a good bit of jb quick to reshape the back of the housing and make mounting surfaces.

The mounting plates had to be heavily modified. Ended up pretty much throwing away everything on the eBay lights except the housings and clear cover.

Red support needed some cutting to get it all in since the projector housings are longer than the OEM lights.

Ran out of money so I picked up some cheaply d2s 4300k capsules and slim ballasts off eBay. Spent 50 bucks. Still burning 3 years later. I had some Philips capsules and oem denso ballasts purchased (used), but the mf'er stiffed me and stole my money. 200 bucks gone and what I had to go cheap for eBay ballasts.

Made a battery harness as we'll and threw in a 4 hi as well since his take a few secs to warm up and I don't like the though of running down the highway in the dark.

Just threw a set of "plug and play" hide in the high beams since they're only on when I'm all alone on the road. Pretty much not needed with the TSX lows anyways. They pretty much just throw a little light above the cutoff so I can see road signs a little further away. Also built a harness to run those. Another cheaply 50 buck hid kit off eBay.

I had a thread started on hid planet, but never got past component pics.

Shane_o_mac

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine are done with Lexus RX330 w/ clear lense and curved cutoff shield with Denso ballast. I followed the d - Bob thread on fsc the "H.I.D. The right way" is where I got all my info. My second attempt has been going for a couple years not with no problems and no moisture in the lenses at all in any weather. As Great White stated there is no real need at all for the high beams but i have the 4 hi mod done and really only use it on back roads.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
so basically i dont need to spend the 220 bucks on a full projector i can keep my 9005/9006 combo and just use the housings and lenses in my lows and ill probably do my his too just because i like the symmetrical look.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Depends.

You put the projectors in the low side with the cut offs to maintain legality (sort of, all retrofits are technically illegal the same as rebased capsules) and get the superior light output.

High beams with plug and play kits are kind of pointless. When my cash flow goes up again, my high side is getting a coupel TSX projectors with the cutoff shield removed for ultimate light throwing ability on high.

I just threw the hid kit int he highs to throw some light above the cutoff. They are still horrible, shorter than the could be a glare-y. But the only time they are on is when I'm all alone on a road, so mox-nix...