Replacing a non airbag wheel with an airbag version - cap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have been trying to replace my factory non-airbag leather wheel in my 99 2500 for years and am not having much luck and the fun has completely gone out of it for me... I have now taken a different approach and have purchased a Grant replacement leather wheel but it only comes in the airbag version. Can someone help me understand what I need to do to source a center cap piece for this new airbag wheel ? Does it have to come with an airbag or can I source just the center cap. This wheel (shown) is very different construction from my oem wheel. Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for this suggestion - they couldn't provide much info on the airbag/cover unit - I just downloaded the shop manuals (kudos to hatzie) and am off to see if I can find an exploded view of this airbag/cover assembly - cheers

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kind of surprised to see that the airbags are still available new from GM, albeit at a whopping $1000.

Holy Outhouse Mouse........

I've had mine off a couple times and am trying to remember......the air bag is all self contained in the center cap. It snaps off with two catches in the back of the wheel using a screwdriver to release the catches. I pretty sure there is a wire connecter to release, but that might be for the horn.

Either way I would be VERY leery of attempting to disassemble the air bag unit itself. I'd love to kill my airbags off because they're getting old.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am really getting close to losing my patience - the Grant wheel has cost me $450Cdn and then I have to add a $1500Cdn airbag that wont ever be hooked up just to get the frickin center cap - I assumed the cover and the airbag were 2 pieces. Two years later, a ton of my time and others as well and I am still no closer to replacing my broken leather wheel - frustrating doesn’t begin to cover it.... why can’t/won’t someone make/sell a complete replacement leather wheel for these trucks..... I need to step away and cool off.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Chilledspode That sucks big time, I feel your pain. :(

I bet you can find an airbag at a salvage yard, or maybe someone scrapping a truck could pull one for you. Maybe post a wanted ad in the classifieds here and/or on some of the Facebook groups? People scrap them going to aftermarket wheels, I bet someone would ship you one for a reasonable price.

Do you have a link to that leather wrapped Grant airbag wheel? I had no idea they offered anything like that for our trucks, it looks nice. I spent a long time looking for a good used OEM leather airbag wheel for my red truck. Finally found one a couple years back but I've never gotten around to installing it. Now I'm eyeing that Grant wheel...

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for staying with me :) My issue is I am so remote there are no wreckers here and the ones I call in Alberta, state they don’t strip the wheels - not enough money in them, I suppose and at that point I am pretty much out of options. If I call the ones in the US they won’t ship to Canada - sigh.
Here is the Grant wheel - it is a nice unit. Cheers and thank you.
http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/996/