Replace motor mounts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KDiDP

Reaction score
Good luck. When I had the engine out of my '88, I tried to replace the mount cushions.

1. Energy Suspension inserts are too huge in pretty-much every direction. The molded-in steel insert inside the Polyurethane cushion has angled steel arms instead of "straight" arms.

2. Stock-replacement aftermarket mounts are made of the thinnest sheetmetal on Earth. They're a total piece of crap.

3. The only hope is that GM still sells OEM-quality mounts, and not a reboxed version of the Communist junk aftermarket mounts. I didn't call the stealership to find out.

4. I put my 300,000 mile mounts back in.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you absolutely HAVE to install new mounts, and GM isn't an acceptable source, about all you can do is to split your original shells, split the shell of the Communist-crap mount, and put the Chinese rubber insert into your original steel shells. I won't promise that the "new" insert will fit the original shells, because "China".

I refused to give the Commies the business, so as I said, I reluctantly put my old mounts right back in place.
Shurkey, I know this come years after the fact, but you were using the wrong urethane parts from energy suspension for your brackets. you have the 6.5 diesel style clamshells. you needed part #3.1152

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d stick with OEM rubber mounts. IMO

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shurkey, I know this come years after the fact, but you were using the wrong urethane parts from energy suspension for your brackets. you have the 6.5 diesel style clamshells. you needed part #3.1152
I used the part number that both Summit and Energy Suspension specified on their respective web-sites.

If my clamshells are somehow not original, it happened before I bought the truck. And that seems very unlikely.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No longer available for 4WD, haven't been for years. I think the 2WD mounts may still be available.

Aftermarket rubber mounts are cheap junk with thin steel shells.
NOS heavy gauge are still available. I have a pair on deck. Let me know if you need some.